Turning a Chuck Roast into a Medium Rare Steak

Chuck roasts don't have to be held back for a Sunday evening meal from the crock pot! This tough cut of meat can also be turned into a beautiful medium rare steak with the help of a sous vide circulator and a grill to give it a sear at the end. The trick you get by using sous vide for 36 at about 132°F is full tenderization of the tough connective tissues without over cooking the meat. In traditional barbecue, you would take this meat up to an internal temperature of over 200°F to achieve that effect. You can get the same effect at a lower temperature over a lot longer period of time.

I used the PK Grills PKGO to finish this steak after the sous vide bath. I also make a really great A1/Heinz 57 style steak sauce that I call my A-57 sauce to go along with this steak. Here's the recipe for that sauce:

Man Cave A-57 Sauce:

1/2 cup ketchup

1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce

1/3 cup water

1/4 cup golden raisins

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Put all that in a blender and blend until it's smooth. Put it in a bottle or jar and store in the fridge until ready to serve. Let return to room temperature or warm it slightly in the microwave before serving. You will find a LOT of great uses for this sauce :)

#AtlantaGrillCompany #SousVide #PKGO

This is our "prime rib" replacement these days since the price of prime rib is so ridiculous now.  48 hour sous vide roast, then a nice herb crust and a quick high-temp roast.  After a few beers and wine...no one even notices!

• 3 weeks later...