Ok, here we go...

So I got my KJI ready to go, sifted through a couple bags of charcoal for hopefully enough larger pieces to finish this bad boy tomorrow, planning to get up 4 am ish ,Trim the brisket whilst the cooker is heating up and have at it! Unfortunately it is supposed to be raining most of the day, hope they are wrong! 

Pics to follow.

Alrighty then, got up at 4 am this morning to get working on this brisket. Lit up Smokey Joe, pulled the brisket out of the fridge and trimmed it (first time ever) put the rub on... Half and half salt and pepper along with 1/4 part granulated garlic. 

Here are some pics.. the trimmed rubbed brisket, my fancy doodle new thermometer set up, my work area (umbrella is up cause as soon as I got started it started to rain) , and the brisket on the grill... barely fits!

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5587.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5591.JPG

Dome temp my friend. Ive used probes like that before, and my food started getting better when I just went off dome temp. In a way both thermometers are right. Its probly 256 where the probe is. But itll be better if the dome is 225-275 range

44 minutes ago, Brandon Store said:

Dome temp my friend. Ive used probes like that before, and my food started getting better when I just went off dome temp. In a way both thermometers are right. Its probly 256 where the probe is. But itll be better if the dome is 225-275 range

Ok, i was reading the thread above about this and for at least this cook I'm going to go by dome temperature. It is right at about 245 right now and the grill probe says its 312 (meat is 145) so I'll go by dome temp and ignore the grill probe... I'm half tempted to remove the grill probe!

Ok, I put it on at 5am. Getting two different readings on my thermometers so I decided to go with the dome thermometer and see how it does. Dome says I'm about 230, grill thermometer says 304, and the meat is now at 170-5 hours in... Sound about right?

So at 5 1/2 hours the meat temp is at 202.. not sure how you would cook this for 12 hours... I'll take it off, wrap it in tin foil throw it in a cooler and see how it is.. definitely no stall involved anywhere... 

your target is doneness, not a preoccupation with time or temp. However, I doubt a jump of 30° in 30 minutes. Are you sure you were probing in the center of the meat and not either too close to either surface or hitting grates beneath. Anyway, if you are actually @ 202‚ meat temp, you should be probing straight 'buttah' in the meat.

So when I got done I took a cloths pin and clipped my little probe to the thermometer inside the Kamado Joe the thermometer on the KJ said 260 the probe said 340 same exact place!

hmmmm

9B799BA9-6FD7-43F6-B1A6-D42AF6E091A2.jpeg

58 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

your target is doneness, not a preoccupation with time or temp. However, I doubt a jump of 30° in 30 minutes. Are you sure you were probing in the center of the meat and not either too close to either surface or hitting grates beneath. Anyway, if you are actually @ 202‚ meat temp, you should be probing straight 'buttah' in the meat.

So I read about the "feel" doneness test and I also have one of those instant read thermometers so I poked it in in several places and no resistance anywhere with temps from 202-209, so I double wrapped it in foil, put it in a cooler with a couple towels on top.. check back in a couple hours and I'll give you the verdict!