Ok, here we go...

Nice looking brisket. You might want to check the calibration of your thermometers. A simple test

is to probe a pot of boiling water. The reading should be ~212 deg. F. It looks like one of them could be

off and I suspect it's the KJ thermo. If so, you did a hot and fast cook at 340ish and blew through the

stall. That happens when cooking at higher temps.

1 minute ago, John Setzler said:

@A.O. you need to check the calibration on your dome thermometer.

Thanks, is there a link on how to do that somewhere?

7 minutes ago, K_sqrd said:

Nice looking brisket. You might want to check the calibration of your thermometers. A simple test

is to probe a pot of boiling water. The reading should be ~212 deg. F. It looks like one of them could be

off and I suspect it's the KJ thermo. If so, you did a hot and fast cook at 340ish and blew through the

stall. That happens when cooking at higher temps.

I hope it still came out alright...

So can I adjust that KJ thermometer with the little nut on the back?

If it probes like butter, as you said, it should be fine. As for adjusting the KJ thermo - probably

can be done with the nut on the back. Since I don't have a KJ I can't say for sure. Hope someone

else with more info can help.

Here is the boil test with my new 2 probe thermometer, I figure 210 & 211 is close enough. When the KJ cools down I'll take the thermometer out of it and check it.

IMG_5605.JPG

The only real thing I noticed was a little bit of a "hard bottom" I'm guessing due to the shorter hot cook, but not all over just a spot here and there. 

All in all extremely pleased with my first ever brisket!

Thanks for the pointers!

Interesting thread and nice job on the brisket! I’m looking forward to my first one on the KJ. Did you use the SloRoller?

I cooked a pork butt yesterday and measured the grate temp just to see how it compared to the dome thermometer. It was 10°-15° hotter on the grate, which makes some sense given the proximity to the heat source, but I think that concept is more applicable to metal cookers. Ceramics may be hotter at the dome. Grate temp also fluctuated slightly while dome temp held steady. I’ll read John’s post above to get the expert skinny.

Congrats on a successful brisket!

2 hours ago, jark87 said:

Interesting thread and nice job on the brisket! I’m looking forward to my first one on the KJ. Did you use the SloRoller?

I cooked a pork butt yesterday and measured the grate temp just to see how it compared to the dome thermometer. It was 10°-15° hotter on the grate, which makes some sense given the proximity to the heat source, but I think that concept is more applicable to metal cookers. Ceramics may be hotter at the dome. Grate temp also fluctuated slightly while dome temp held steady. I’ll read John’s post above to get the expert skinny.

Congrats on a successful brisket!

No slow roller..

4 hours ago, John Setzler said:

@A.O. here's a good read for you.. it's a pinned post in this section of the forum.  This issue comes up over and over again so I saved this as to not have to re write it all the time :)  

Thanks John, and yes I read this before I tried the brisket, my problem is my thermometer is way off. I tried to recalibrate it to no avail, when sitting it in a pot of water at a rolling boil I could not even get the thermometer to register to 150 degrees, looked to be about 130 maybe (there is no scale below 150). I'm going to try to contact Kamado Joe tomorrow and see what can be done...

9 hours ago, A.O. said:

Thanks John, and yes I read this before I tried the brisket, my problem is my thermometer is way off. I tried to recalibrate it to no avail, when sitting it in a pot of water at a rolling boil I could not even get the thermometer to register to 150 degrees, looked to be about 130 maybe (there is no scale below 150). I'm going to try to contact Kamado Joe tomorrow and see what can be done...

There is a calibration screw on the back of the thermometer.. It makes it simple to calibrate it.

31 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

There is a calibration screw on the back of the thermometer.. It makes it simple to calibrate it.

Yes, I understand how it is supposed to work, but that screw on mine will not adjust my pointer up.

So I just contacted Kamado Joe about the thermometer. They show no phone number nor do they have a chat feature, I filled out thier little form and submited it and it said about 5 business days for someone to get back to me... and I had heard they had good customer service!! Maybe not...

EDIT TO ADD: Kamado Joe informed me a replacement thermometer is on the way!!

OK, GREAT customer service!