Question about long cook temps

Jay Bee

I put an 18 lb whole pork shoulder on at 7:30 last night with a full load of kj lump and running my new Signals w/ billows.  Woke up this morning an I think I was in the beginning of the stall.  It’s now noon and I think I’m still in the stall but my ambient temp is dropping.  My question is can the stall effect the ambient temp or am I running out of fuel?  If I’m running out of fuel, what is the best method to get to the finish?  Meat is probing at 170.

Ok I’m gonna write it off as I must have been burning through smaller pieces of lump cause temp has been holding steady at 229. Still amazed the meat has probed at 170 for almost 7 hrs.  No wrapping for this guy!!

I've had the same experience with the charcoal changing temps on long cook i agree about the charcoal size idea bigger chunks you might better air flow and more glowing coals higher temp. Can't respond about the 7 hr. stall never smoked a chunk of meat that large. Try pulling out thermometer and see if it drops down then reinsert in a different place. Will be waiting for pics.

Ok so I started get suspicious and I turned the Signals off and on again.  Bad news…..meat is 168 and big joe…..191????  I’ll make a call to thermoworks this week.  Has anyone had the Signals freeze up like this?

When i use my remote thermometers i also keep an eye on the dome thermometer as well. My dome thermometer is always about 20 degrees low.(too lazy to recalibrate it) I just use it as a quick reference. How did the shoulder turn out ? 

The shoulder turned out excellent….best pulled pork I’ve made. I’m thinking when my wife brought our Bluetooth speaker outside my phone connected to it and this is what caused the Signals to freeze.  Luckily crisis was diverted but I wasn’t sure until I pulled it.