Whatcha Cookin For Memorial Day?

I'm letting the chef at Summit Hills CC do the cooking tomorrow. They are having a Memorial Day grill out. It will include:

• Marinated flank steak
  • Honey chipotle chicken skewers
  • Pulled pork
  • Corn on the cob
  • Green Beans
  • Roasted red skin potatoes
  • Coleslaw
  • Loaded potato salad
  • Watermelon salad
  • Fruit display, and
  • Ice cream sandwiches.

28 minutes ago, daninpd said:

I hate to admit it, three day weekend and all, but I have had a hankering for a chili cheese dog for a while.  So that's what I'm doing, just the two of us.  $800 grill set-up, go figure.

hey, that’s the beauty of the kamados, I have often fire up the joe because I had a taste for a couple of hot metts with my breakfast. And a chili cheese dog or two sounds good from here. 

I’ve got a challenge cook to knock out that will end up as my lunches this week. For the family meal we are doing a tri-tip - as it’s been awhile since we did one.  We were going to do a crispy pork belly, but didn’t plan in advance and it’s pretty much impossible here to get one without making prior arrangements. 

10 hours ago, daninpd said:

I hate to admit it, three day weekend and all, but I have had a hankering for a chili cheese dog for a while.  So that's what I'm doing, just the two of us.  $800 grill set-up, go figure.

Like the heart, the stomach wants what the stomach wants and does not respond to logic. Enjoy your dogs, nothing quite like a really good chili dog and a cold beer. 

This is a Great Day to fire the grill and enjoy time with family and friends,  while always remembering the sacrifice of those who gave their lives or bear the scars of the fight to win and keep the freedom we all so enjoy. "All Gave Some, Some Gave All" . Agree or disagree with where or why they were sent, soldiers, sailors, marines,  airmen,  never get to make that choice, they just go where they are sent. My  dad fought in the battle of Midway on the Yorktown which was sunk during that battle. Good for me, he was not one of the fallen, however, growing up he always told me I was a legacy to those who did fall,  Because my dad was able to come home and live the life so many had lost, in a way as a Boomer, I am a  child to those who, because of their sacrifice for the rest of us, were unable to have children of their own. Every year on Memorial Day evening, I watch all the Midway movies just to help me  remember what Pop lived through. 

Families coming over, and  I am cooking Tri Tip with my own version of the famous Cardiff Crack Tri Tip ( so named because it's so good it's addictive) from the Sea Side Market in Cardiff California. It's  basically a  Burgundy, pepper marinade. Mine has along with the burgundy and cracked pepper, mesquite honey, shaved garlic, dried onion, and rosemary and fresh lemon zest and juice. My niece who lives in Oceanside says it's a pretty fair rendition of the real thing. I am also doing chili rubbed corn on the Cobb, and Cowboy beans with pico and roasted hatch chili. At the Seaside market they use one of those fancy air chambered marinade machines, which I don't have. I mix up the marinade, completely cover the meat in a plastic bag and let it sit in the fridge two days prior to the cook. Depending on the size of the Tri Tip the marinade consists of about 2 or three cups of any jammy red wine with a half cup of honey dissolved with heat. 2 TBS cracked pepper, 2 TBS kosher salt, zest and juice from one lemon, 10 thinly sliced garlic cloves and 3 0r 4 fresh rosemary sprigs. I post some pics of the cook. 

https://www.sdentertainer.com/dining/cardiff-crack-tri-tip-cardiff-seaside-market/

1 minute ago, AMraider said:

We grilled chicken on Sat and pizza on Sunday and today is Baked Beans and Brats. I have never done a pot of baked beans on a grill before but I am sure the KJ Jr is up for it.

I do it all the time, either set the pot  over a half stone and do it indirect or set the pot on the edge of the grate  away from the main fire and stir often. 

@keeperovdeflame I advise against watching the most recent Midway, unless you want to experience extreme aggravation. It does not honor those who sacrificed. The decisive battle in the movie is shown in such a way that it appears we lost.  In fact, the end credits honor the Japanese soldiers who died as well. I left the theatre p,o’d. 

Anyway, enjoy the tri tip!!!

5 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

I’ve got a challenge cook to knock out that will end up as my lunches this week. For the family meal we are doing a tri-tip - as it’s been awhile since we did one.  We were going to do a crispy pork belly, but didn’t plan in advance and it’s pretty much impossible here to get one without making prior arrangements. 

it’s quite the opposite here. I can find pork belly anywhere. But until very recently, try tip was awol. Enjoy!!!

As a Canuck who is the son of a WWII Soldier (a D-Day Dodger, no less) and the son-in-law of an RCAF Squadron Leader (both now passed) we only celebrate Remembrance Day here in November.  That doesn’t mean I don't understand and appreciate all of the lives lost by young men and women, almost all who never made it nearly as far as I have.  For that I am always thankful.

I set the Akorn up yesterday and did a half brisket that was excellent for leftovers tonight as well.  A cold beer was raised to our father’s memory. The greatest generation for sure.

I hate to say it, but nothing.  Tweaked my knee on a lift and compounded the issue stepping on some uneven concrete while walking the dogs a couple of hours later.  We ordered out instead, my head is hanging.  

Anyway a big shout out to the Veterans, as you have made and continue to make this all possible for us.  Bless you all.