My wife prefers everything well done. She loves it when I pull meat off the grill and is typically won’t allow it to rest.  The scenario just makes me laugh. But the moment she spots red, her enthusiasm tanks. 

It’s hard for me to take ribeye up to 180, so I will run it up to 160 and tell her “Its up to temp”.  I get away with it for the most part. 

But when I’m busted ……. This being said, she is literally Mensa and works in legal intelligence.  She clearly she married me for my love of cooking and keeps me as a trophy husband. 

My question is, how many fellow cooking enthusiasts go through this? Share you stories.  

Fortunately, my wife and I as well as our family, enjoy rare to medium rare steaks and chops. If it's

not moving or mooing, it's fair game. LOL! We had some family visit recently and I offered to cook

steaks. One guest asked for "well done". My wife opined that she didn't think I know how to do

"well done". I did my best and the guest was happy with the result. Guess I lucked out.

I'm glad Mrs philpom and the philpom kids all like it rare.  In my opinion you don't know what steak tastes like if you don't enjoy it rare.  Nothing like that juicy tender flavor.

That said, if I know I'm going to be cooking for someone that likes it well done I'll grab some cheap steaks for them.  I'm not going to ruin a fine steak and they won't likely know the difference. 

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as Henry and John.  Just makes it difficult to coordinate so they both come off the grill close to the same time.  But I persevere because I've had her for closing in on 50 years and probably will continue because nobody In their right mind would want me now.:-D

My wife is not a steak eater so, she has had it maybe once or twice in 35 years of marriage. Around our 25th, I took her to the best steak place in town and she had a well done boneless ribeye to my medium bone in. A qulity ribeye "can" still be fairly tender at well done- I found. Anyway, she must have been counting her 15+ chews per bite versus my 5. So, halfway through the meal, she huffed, threw her fork and knife down in disgust and asked for a bite of mine. Next came "why is my steak so tough and yours so tender?" After a little explanation, she asked for another piece of mine after which I had to steer her back to her steak.

A man's steak is not for sharing.

1 hour ago, philpom said:

I'm glad Mrs philpom and the philpom kids all like it rare.  In my opinion you don't know what steak tastes like if you don't enjoy it rare.  Nothing like that juicy tender flavor.

That said, if I know I'm going to be cooking for someone that likes it well done I'll grab some cheap steaks for them.  I'm not going to ruin a fine steak and they won't likely know the difference. 

My wife requires filets or ny strips well done.

Most of the time when we have steak it’s for Sunday Family Dinner.  Two like it blue, one Medium Rare and two well.  My wife and Sister-in-law are the guilty parties at Well Done.  The answer is easy.  Two steaks, one thick, one thinner.  The thin one goes onto the heat about an hour and a half before the thicker one and they come off at the same time.

A week night steak for the two of us is a harder deal.  We both compromise and I aim for Medium.  If I get close but fall short, she will actually microwave it for a few seconds.  If I overshoot, then it sucks to be me…

I'm loving the responses and appreciate the differences.  This one is almost made me cry

10 hours ago, JeffieBoy said:

she will actually microwave it for a few seconds. 

Henry 

My heart goes out to you. My first wife preferred burnt cinders for steaks. She was raised by a mom who was one of the gray cooks. Everything had to be gray all the way through,, on the weekly Sunday dinner of rump roast I could not pour enough gravy on it. I can still see the look on my wife's  face when in a very pricy restaurant the chef came out and apologized for not being able to cook her steak that well done. But for each one of us we have our quirks. Makes life interesting. My second one likes it as rare as I do, makes grilling easier. The micro wave comment gave me a chuckle.  

2 hours ago, len440 said:

Henry 

My heart goes out to you. My first wife preferred burnt cinders for steaks. She was raised by a mom who was one of the gray cooks. Everything had to be gray all the way through,, on the weekly Sunday dinner of rump roast I could not pour enough gravy on it. I can still see the look on my wife's  face when in a very pricy restaurant the chef came out and apologized for not being able to cook her steak that well done. But for each one of us we have our quirks. Makes life interesting. My second one likes it as rare as I do, makes grilling easier. The micro wave comment gave me a chuckle.  

There are two main sources of the well done cooking, imo. The first is culture. I just recently learned that a lot of the well done mania is a hold over from depression era cooking especially, prior to better and nore affordable refrigeration and sanitation standards where you were cooking to kill critters (bacteria, worms and the like). The second, a lot of misinformation regarding blood vs. myoglobin.

My wife was a vegetarian when I met her and when she moved in with me she would make herself a salad for dinner and eat it without me.  When I got home I would cook as usual.  Over about 6 months she got to where she would wait for me to get home and cook and eat what I cooked.  Obviously the vegetarian thing went away if she was eating what I cooked.  She was raised by a Mom (like mine) that cooked everything to death and thought well done was the only way for any meat.   I wouldn't cook anything past medium (pink and warm in the middle) and she went through the whole process of discovery that @CentralTexBBQ described that more cooked=more tough when it comes to steaks; she has been converted.  She also learned from some dishes cooked by world class chefs at some food and wine events that some cuts of meat are meant to be served barely cooked or raw or air dried.

I never said anything, but I considered those salads she ate before I got home from work to be rude.