Be honest y’all.

20 hours ago, daninpd said:

vegetarian

My 17 year old daughter has been giving me grief for leaving a “carbon footprint”  and my brother has been married to a vegetarian for 30 years and pretty much does the same.  
Let me tell ya, when the food is pulled, it’s amusing to me how they both forget their overly explained and detailed comments. 
With their forks and knives scrapping the plates I frequently ask “How many porta potties and restrooms do you see in the fields?”  They both know it’s coming.  To each there own I guess. I’m happy and content. 

On 6/2/2021 at 10:05 AM, John Setzler said:

A good medium rare steak is easy.  A good well done steak is hard.  

I certainly agree with John's comment.

My nieces husband is fanatical about this. One touch of red, or even reddish  meat juice on his plate and he won't come near it. I always try to buy the best meat I can find,  and felt I was simply ruining a good steak. I tried and tried to please him taking his  steaks to 160, and having him tell me it was still disgusting and not edible. I took to  having him stand by the grill, pulling the steak off when I though it was medium well and cutting a slice and then putting it back on and repeating the process until he would eat it. I would cook a perfect medium rare Prime Rib for  the families Christmas dinner and then throw a thick piece in a cast iron pan and try to take it to brown without having it dry out. I usually cook Rib Eyes, but he also had trouble with fat and thought a Rib Eye was a poor quality steak. Try as I might, I just quit cooking steak and any meat other than brisket or ribs for him. 

I used to cook 150 steaks (1 inch thick rib eyes) for our rc club picnic  after 3 years of hearing the same guy complain about how his steak was cooked. The fourth year i handed him the tongs and let him cook his own. It looked like a piece of lump charcoal from the bag, at least he was happy except he had to work at the picnic grilling it.. We just can't make everyone happy all the time.  

If your doing a reverse sear just take your steak off the grill and leave the well done steak on until the searing process. After closing the lid increase the air flow so the charcoal can build up temperature to sear both steak at the same time.

On 6/4/2021 at 8:22 AM, mike echo said:

Wife, me and kids good to go with rare steaks.

But Bacon……Wife prefers extra crispy.

My first trip to NC was an eye opener. Everywhere we went for beakfast the bacon was- well, rare to say the least. My bacon doesn't have to be extra crispy but it does have to be cooked. :-D

I grew up in an all beef has to be well done household/family. Never had a medium rare piece of beef --no joke-- until halfway through my sophomore year in college, when I went to Christmas dinner with my girlfriend's (now my wife) family, where her Uncle made an absolutely perfect medium rare prime rib. I couldn't believe my taste buds. And I remember on my way home, thinking about all the steaks I'd eaten in my life that could have been so much better than they were.

@CentralTexBBQ I grew up in NC. There's a fairly big diversity of cooking from place to place in the state, but I don't recall "rare" bacon as being specifically a thing there, unless maybe it's in a particular region. I know it isn't among my family, nor at any of the restaurants we frequent when I'm home visiting.  

1 hour ago, Scott Roberts said:

My Mother's parents are from NC and I remember my grandma always cooking the bacon more on the rare side than crispy meaning the middle was more done than the ends!

Scott

Huh. Very interesting. I'll have to try to remember to pay more attention next time we're visiting.

I have the experience of routinely cooking for a family which includes "folks from every preference."  Therefore, I stick my remote-reading electronic thermometer into the piece of meat that I've resigned to become shoe-leather, and subtract from there.

In each case, I'm looking for a target temperature 10ºF below my actual target.  (140 = medium rare, etc.)  I take the meat off the grill at each temperature point, "tent" it under aluminum foil for about ten minutes, and watch as it "coasts up" the additional ten degrees to arrive at the target.  It works every time.

Although my "wireless remote-sensing thermometer" works great for steaks and roasts, I did find that they didn't work for hamburgers.  With such a slight piece of meat, I found that I also needed an electronic, instant(!) reading thermometer to achieve consistent results.  (Because the other thermometer was "reading the fire," instead of "the meat." And, "non-electronic" probe thermometers did not react fast enough.)