Teenagers and wife approved dinner

Oakridge’s Santa Maria seasoned under/over skin, small piece of unidentified wood that turned out to be apple with rack left middle. Temp 400ish. When finished, it had the perfect bite through skin again. 
What you don’t see is the soapstone warming up on the high right side.  With the yardbird finished I opened the vents to 500ish and made smash burgers with same seasoning with cheese mixed by hand. Smash burgers produced more fat than anticipated that I simply scraped into the fire. No hairs burned. 
A good evening. 

1F661380-9A46-4AE9-8B15-C50941FCEF46.jpeg

Those look good! Chicken thighs always a favorite at our house. I've used Oakridge brines but haven't tried their rubs. Just looked at their website i think I might need to try a few :)

8 hours ago, O C said:

Those look good! Chicken thighs always a favorite at our house. I've used Oakridge brines but haven't tried their rubs. Just looked at their website i think I might need to try a few :)

Do it.  I used to make my own but I lack the skills and I am not that creative.  They have a nice selection.  

2 hours ago, Henry B 3 said:

Do it.  I used to make my own but I lack the skills and I am not that creative.  They have a nice selection.  

My primary issue with commercial runs is that almost all of them contain salt. I like to salt most of my meats in advance of cooking or applying rubs, so I tend to make my own. My wife is a great cook and has almost every spice/seasoning known to man, so it’s usually pretty easy. I’ll find a recipe and then modify it based on the experience, like adding jalapeno powder to Meathead’s Memphis Dust for ribs. See link below for some great insight into rubs. Cheers!

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/science-rubs/