Good Setup for Low and Slow on a Mini (11" Kamado)??

Hello,

Would love to see pics of what others are using as a slow and low setup - specifically for mini kamados.

I have a Lidl mini kamado and a steel 3mm deflector plate from eBay.  Previously I was using a DIY version but was advised that my using a Teflon cake tin as heat deflector was a bad idea so I've moved on.

First time out with new stainless deflector I charred the underside of a brisket badly.  Turns out I had the plate upside down.  After that, I did a pork shoulder, deflector installed correctly, and less fuel.  2 hours in there was again a noticeable char on the underside of the pork.  I've since put three crushed beer cans on the deflector as spacers, a Teflon cake pan on top of those (with water in) and the cooking grate and pork directly on top of the drip pan. It seems to be working well but it is a bit of a balancing act.

I'm attaching a few pics of my current setup but I'm curious to know what others are doing.  My current setup worked well until (I think) fat in the drip pan and parchment paper conspired to spark a big grease fire - thus the torched kamado/gaskets.  NOTE: pics 1-8 are post-cook.  10 is a 7lb pork shoulder that still turned out great as the fire happened right at the end of a long cook.

Would love to see pics of what others are using as a slow and low setup - specifically for mini kamados.

1.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

The issue with those small kamados is there is not enough space to drop the deflector low enough and place a drip pan between the grate and deflector. I see your grate is resting on the drip pan, up in the dome. It should be at the felt line with the other stuff well below. But then the fire bowl is to small for proper size deflector, or enough charcoal for a low and slow. There needs to be some air moving between the pan and grate/food. Maybe a riser on the grate would raise the food up in the dome and leave some air space above the pan, if you could find one that small, or fab one yourself.

Thanks JohnnyAppetizer.  In fact, I have added a DIY riser, using some stainless steel nuts and bolts.  I've trimmed these down a bit to (hopefully) find the right compromise between creating distance between heat source and food, and keeping some room in the dome for a decent cut of meat.  I can flip it over for regular, direct grilling.  Haven't tried it yet for slow and low but will be debuting it this Friday, fingers crossed.

Pics attached.

IMG-6055.jpg

IMG-6056.jpg

JB.

It's amazing how inventive we can be when needed. Good move on removing the Teflon pan as a deflector, Teflon gives off nasty stuff when over heated. On the charring on the bottom it is caused by heat radiating up off the  deflector you are right about raising the grill grate higher. Also be aware there are several temp zones in our kamados. 1 Temp above the deflector on the grate. 2. the dome temp. 3. the temp of the air rising from around the edges of the deflectors. I learned this from charred ends of long racks of ribs. 4 on my joe classic II there is a temp difference between the front and back of the grill. But all of this is part of learning our grills . Why were you using parchment paper? I had a couple of grease fires in my vertical gas smoker very exciting looked like an old steam locomotive puffing down the tracks

I have an Akorn Jr. and haven't seen the smoking stone jr here in Canada.  A few years back I bought a wire canning rack (for dipping mason jars into a hot pot) and a pie pan that fits nicely into it.  The rack hangs on the 3 smoking stone tabs, and I add some very clean, sifted sand into the pan as a heat sink.  My cooking grid sits a few inches above.  Works fine for me.  

Just make sure you use clean sand!

I, too, have an akorn jr. I planned on getting a smoking stone but didn't order it by the time i wanted to do my first low and slow. I took the outer ring off of an old kettle charcoal basket and made a little support that sits on the same tabs as the smoking stone. I first tried an uncoated cake pan that worked ok. 2nd time I tried a saucer from a clay pot. Fit perfectly and stabilized temps a little for low and slow. If I need a drip pan I just wrap it in foil. Works so good that I never bother ordering a real stone. First one eventually cracked after a year and half but at $4 a pop, still a bargain. I'm sure you could find a smaller size that fits the 11".

support:

support.thumb.jpg.a8752620e337a0f35fec86d1a3968f9e.jpg

Support in place:

support2.thumb.jpg.37a22607b86cd9625888efe22a355b43.jpg

Clay Pot Saucer:

saucer.thumb.jpg.5fbbd6abc46623bad9be1e8fb18e5a44.jpg

Saucer in Place:

saucer2.thumb.jpg.7fb12818a34c9ff6deddd0f4d2e21550.jpg