BJIII Bottom Gate Sealant Failure After 4 Months?

Hi,

I bought a brand new Big Joe III 4 months ago. I've done a bunch of low and slow smokes on it with a few 400-550 grilling sessions. Lately I've been having trouble with temp creep at low temps, so I started investigating and found that the silicone (?) sealant at the bottom gate is almost completely deteriorated! Since taking these photos last week it has gotten much worse and extended the entire length of the gate. Air is definitely getting in because smoke pours out when I close the cover.

What can I do about this? Customer service was completely useless and told me this is not their problem and told me to "store and maintain the grill properly" (with no advise on how to do that!). I'm tempted to just put red RTV on it.

How can this be OK after 4 months on a $2500 grill, I don't understand.

IMG_20210604_193748_572.jpg

IMG_20210604_193530_346.jpg

You're overthinking it. Sealant can and does deteriorate over time. A tube of RTV high-temp sealant costs only a few bucks and you could have solved that problem in less time than it took to type the post. Consider it part of normal maintenance, just like changing the gaskets, cleaning the grills or doing a deep-clean.Splodge a bit of sealer over those gaps, or if you want to be anal, scrape the old sealer off and re-apply it. The first way will take literally 1 minute, the second maybe 30 minutes. Then crack on with making delicious food on your barbecue.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

11 hours ago, kingnog said:

Customer service was completely useless and told me this is not their problem ......

How can this be OK after 4 months on a $2500 grill, I don't understand.

I get it. They can't just send you a replacement grill, or send out an employee on a service call. I get that you bought a KJ, spent $2500 and expect some customer service. That means at least sending you the RTV or a new gasket and RTV. Other people considering KJ might want to look elsewhere, considering their total indifference to your situation. Certainly not creating brand loyalty.

Unfortunately with the lack of customer service across the board in the USA, fix it yourself (as recommended by previous posters) is the best option.

6 hours ago, JohnnyAppetizer said:

I get it. They can't just send you a replacement grill, or send out an employee on a service call. I get that you bought a KJ, spent $2500 and expect some customer service. That means at least sending you the RTV or a new gasket and RTV. Other people considering KJ might want to look elsewhere, considering their total indifference to your situation. Certainly not creating brand loyalty.

Unfortunately with the lack of customer service across the board in the USA, fix it yourself (as recommended by previous posters) is the best option.

The support person could have made a recommendation.  Most of the time KJ’s customer service is good.  People take care of problems quickly.