What size Kamado is the most popular?

Welcome @Kamado Jim!  I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that the Classic 18” size is the most popular based on general availability and price point. But I have absolutely no data to back that up.  

There are a lot of factors in size choice and many of those are personal in nature. I am not sure you could correlate best sellers to best options for your own personal situation.  I’m a fan of a bigger 24” Kamado - even with a small family - as we like to do a lot of direct grilling of both protein and sides all at once.  

Many people prefer a smaller 18” Kamado though as they don’t like firing up a big grill for a small cook.  And some can fit a ridiculous amount of food on an 18” Kamado - especially if you are cooking in a way that lets you take advantage of vertical space… I’m just not that talented. 

+1 to @KismetKamado comments.  Totally agree.   That said, I now have a 24" Weber Summit Kamado, and would never go back to an 18".  Even though there is only 2 of us most nights, tonight I threw 6 chops on "slow n sear" style directly over charcoal (raised up right under the cooking grate) for a sear, them moved them over to the indirect side to come up to temp.  It's just opened up different options for me that were trickier before.

When @KismetKamado mentioned "especially if you are cooking in a way that lets you take advantage of vertical space…"...that is a pretty key statement.  I've come to realize I much prefer cooking on the horizontal plane vs the vertical.

It's not that I could not do these things on an 18", but it's effortless on the 24", and can be a little more a juggle on an 18".  Cooked on an 18" for over a decade and wished I would have up-sized a long time ago.  That said, yes, fuel usage on a ceramic 24" is going to go up.  The Summit is less a concern with that - it's more a hybrid kettle/kamado.

Well, I don't know if I'm a proper participant in this discussion, but ...

Even though I bought an "Akorn Senior" for my dad, my grill of choice is a tabletop ... non-ceramic ... "Akorn, Jr."  It's lightweight, is easy to take on camping trips (where it can easily be set on any available surface), and cooks great food.  (Because: by now, I've learned how to work with it.)

But, really, "it depends entirely on your situation."  I frequently take my grill on car-camping trips ... my dad never does.  "Popularity" is an entirely subjective decision.  Therefore, carefully evaluate the criteria that you think applies most-directly to you.  "Make your decision, resolve to be happy with it, and start cooking!"

I too started with the 18" KJ classic, it was a good size for most cooks, but get a large group together and and you realize the limitations.  I also have an Akorn Jr. which I bought on clearance for $50 at Wal-Mart, great for tailgating and has become my hot dog and brat grill.  In the last couple of years I have had family move close by, so I decided it was time to upgrade to something bigger, and after researching for almost a year, I decided on a 32" Komodo Kamado.  So the answer for me is it's not a one size fits all scenario, like Mike said, it all depends on your situation.