So.... How Long????

It's rained like crazy the past few weeks, non rainy days have been few and far between. Anyway, for Memorial Day I cooked and opened a fresh bag of lump to top off my basket. And, making a long story short, that bag sat out in some steady rains and tremendous thunderstorms until ~last Tuesday? We now have sun forecast for quite a few days. How many days would you set the lump out in the sun before you trusted cooking with it? 

Having never committed this atrocity, I wouldn’t know……. ;)

Hopefully someone has some input for you. Would the question be not how long, but even “if” it would be good to use?  I got some charcoal once that was just absolutely worthless and tried multiple times over many months to use it and it never would get hot. I got it for a steal I think because the vendor had too much for too long. I saw some at another vendor in town sitting outside on pallets, and it wasn’t a common charcoal around here.  Anyway, I wondered in the back of my mind if it hadn’t gotten wet at some point because I had never experienced that prior and haven’t since. 

@CentralTexBBQI hear you on the rain...I'm here in Round Rock...left my lump on the screened porch and the humidity definitely slowed down getting up to temp earlier this week - but as fast as the garden has been drying out, I'm thinking you'll be good on your lumps soon (but I do try to keep an extra 15lb bag on hand to be safe...don't want to have to run out and fight traffic when the hankering for red meat hits).

I don't know the answer to your question, but I got some lump from my local Ace hardware. When I opened the bag it had a musty smell. My thought was that it might have got wet and then dried. I did try burning some, and it burned ok, but did not have the same smell as other charcoal. I was able to return the bag and am now using the B&B Competition blend charcoal Texas size lumps (from the bag).

Thanks @Golf Griller and @daninpd!

This is also from Ace but, totally my fault that it's wet. And unfortunately only Ohio sun available for the next two years possibly. My wife is in ELP vacationing with my daughter. Temps last 5 days were 108º, 106º, 108º, 108º, 103º. Humidity about 8%. I'm so jealous!

29 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

My wife is in ELP vacationing with my daughter. Temps last 5 days were 108º, 106º, 108º, 108º, 103º. Humidity about 8%.

You wouldn't get tomatoes to set fruit in those conditions but you could dry the heck out of anything you had.  Whew!