Chunks is chunks...

So I have my Kamado Joe working as I like it so I was organizing some of the wood chunks for the smoke.

Left to right. Cherry, Oak, then 2 buckets of hickory, one large pieces and one smaller for faster burger type cooking.

I'm also looking to go out in the woods and get some grapevine to try..

IMG_5717.JPG

Nice assortment and storage for under cover.  It's possible to go a little crazy (like me) and add things like Apple (for pork and poultry), Alder (for smoked Salmon), Pecan (for smoked turkey or duck) or Mesquite (for beef or antlered game).  There will be many other opinions and wood suggestions.  Your search for grapevines brings to mind charring spring onions over last year's grapevine cuttings like they do in Spain with a Romesco sauce.  Yum!

1 hour ago, daninpd said:

Nice assortment and storage for under cover.  It's possible to go a little crazy (like me) and add things like Apple (for pork and poultry), Alder (for smoked Salmon), Pecan (for smoked turkey or duck) or Mesquite (for beef or antlered game).  There will be many other opinions and wood suggestions.  Your search for grapevines brings to mind charring spring onions over last year's grapevine cuttings like they do in Spain with a Romesco sauce.  Yum!

Well these woods and the eventual grapevines were/are all sourced off my property . I might try some sweetgum sometime, I have lots of it and the beavers love it! Maybe its called sweetgum for a reason...

I tend to prefer smoking chunks a little smaller than these.  My buddy dropped a cherry tree last summer, and sent me over four nice biscuits.  I just split the first one last week. Will probably do a shoulder on the weekend with some.

BBD5DC0C-20C2-426A-8C36-AA6248BAF10A.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Henry B 3 said:

Loving what I see in both pictures.  I recently picked up some apple and after 3 cooks, they has absolutely no scent at all.  Garbage day is today.  

Garbage day? You going to toss that apple? I’d say just use more of it, apple is normally great for smoking.

A.O.  I love apple and use a lot of it.  Sometimes and admittedly, its rare but I get a batch that emits nothing. There is literally no flavor/smell/nothing to this whatsoever. I get smoke but no explanation 

39 minutes ago, Henry B 3 said:

A.O.  I love apple and use a lot of it.  Sometimes and admittedly, its rare but I get a batch that emits nothing. There is literally no flavor/smell/nothing to this whatsoever. I get smoke but no explanation 

Ok, weird..

I Butchered a couple of pear trees a couple years ago I wish I still had some of that for the Kamado!

Do you need to worry about bar oil from the chainsaw contaminating the smoke wood?

I have just used smaller branches of cherry that I cut with my chainsaw, then wack off the ends and into smaller chunks using a chopsaw (no oil).

I have also considered using canola oil as bar oil.

16 minutes ago, clarkpark said:

Do you need to worry about bar oil from the chainsaw contaminating the smoke wood?

I have just used smaller branches of cherry that I cut with my chainsaw, then wack off the ends and into smaller chunks using a chopsaw (no oil).

I have also considered using canola oil as bar oil.

I do not worry about that, not that much bar oil gets on it anyway. I buck mine up into manageable lengths usually in that 16" area so I can use them in my wood stove if I need to, then split those into smaller pieces and then as you said take them to my miter saw to chunk them up.

Not sure I want to mess up a 6 or 7  hundred dollar saw using canola oil.. but it might work, just not for me. Again I just dont think there is that much oil that gets on the pieces.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!