Heat Resistant Product for Ceramic Heat Deflector

Good morning

When I smoke things, often I plan to finish a smoke to then move onto a full fledged bbq (Remove heat deflectors, increase temp and start throwing on meat and veg). The challenge I'm facing at the moment is finding something heat proof that I can put the ceramics on whilst they cool down as they need to be removed.

Does anyone have any suggestions/solutions to this problem? - The current Idea is to use a Silicone mat as this is heat resistant to 392F roughly so should be okay.

Thanks

Simon

Welcome @amieon!  I have a large square  paver brick on the ground next to each of my kamado’s that I use to set my hot grates or stones on. Probably not a good option if you have young kids or inquisitive pets though. 

Thanks @KismetKamado!, unfortunately I have a very inquisitive pet so doesn't work so well. I have been placing them on a wall but they do tend to drip a bit on the way and ideally don't like running around with boiling hot ceramic plates!

Have you found a solution to limit the amount of grease that falls onto the ceramic when smoking?

2 hours ago, amieon said:

Thanks @KismetKamado!, unfortunately I have a very inquisitive pet so doesn't work so well. I have been placing them on a wall but they do tend to drip a bit on the way and ideally don't like running around with boiling hot ceramic plates!

Have you found a solution to limit the amount of grease that falls onto the ceramic when smoking?

I almost always use a drip tray (think round stainless steel serving tray with a small lip on it) on my deflectors to catch grease, but lots of people don’t do that. I wrap mine in foil so cleanup is easy. Also, if you put a slight gap between the drip tray and deflector, the drippings won’t burn. Many people use small copper pipe elbows laid on their side for this. Or you can simply just roll into a ball and smash some small pieces of aluminum foil to make the spacers to set the drip tray on to make the gap. 

Seeing @GrillnBrew’s post reminds me that I also have a metal table near each of my kamado’s as well that I occasionally use for this purpose too if it isn’t tied up with other stuff. 

On 6/15/2021 at 8:00 AM, KismetKamado said:

Welcome @amieon!  I have a large square  paver brick on the ground next to each of my kamado’s that I use to set my hot grates or stones on. Probably not a good option if you have young kids or inquisitive pets though. 

They'd only touch it once. :)