Jump to content

Spatchcock chicken


Recommended Posts

Have my spatchcock chicken in the brine for tomorrows cook, thinking about that Cornell Chicken I read about here.. Tips on doing this in the Kamado? First try...

 

 

IMG_5761.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find that placing the poultry higher up in the Q, a drip tray underneath, and cooking in the 425+ degrees range always results in amazingly juicy chicken with crispy skin.  TBH, never brined one as well as spatchcocking so I look forward to see your results!  We love our dark meat cooked more so I rarely take it off until it measures 180 degrees plus in the thighs and legs, regardless of what the breast measures...the white meat still comes out nice and juicy even if it is cooked more...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used the the basting sauce recipe as my brine. I reserved some for basting. Since you’ve already brined, you might want to reduce the salt some. Recipe below. I cooked at 375° but can’t remember how long it took. 1-2 hours? I used the deflector plates instead of the slo roller and had the grill grate on the highest level of the divide and conquer thing. I’d probably take the temp up to 400° on my next try or even try it on the Joetisserie. Skin could have been more crispy but flavor was outstanding!

 

Good luck and enjoy!
 

Ingredients:
2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
3 tablespoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That has got to be one of the most "different" brines/sauces I think I have seen....but has me craving to try it!  Making a note for next time for sure.  My taste buds are watering at the combinations...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SmallBBQr said:

That has got to be one of the most "different" brines/sauces I think I have seen....but has me craving to try it!  Making a note for next time for sure.  My taste buds are watering at the combinations...

It does seem strange to me as well, but a lot seem to like it... I'll let you know..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just recently discovered it, but apparently it is quite popular in upstate NY area. It has a pretty interesting history, as it was developed in the 1940s by a food sciences professor at Penn State who later moved to Cornell. He was trying to promote the poultry industry, as chicken was primarily only baked and pretty bland.

 

Some folks marinate overnight (I did) and some just use the sauce for basting. Maybe it’s because it was new to me, but it was the best chicken I can remember and I’m a huge BBQ chicken fan. The vinegar imparts a really tangy flavor. It’s also super easy. Can’t wait to try it on my Joetisserie!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use this brine I took from an Adam Perry Lang cook pork. He initially used it on pork but I use it on both pork and chicken, even my thanksgiving turkey.

 

2 cups apple cider

1 cup honey

1/2cup kosher salt

1/2 cup orange juice

1 thin sliced orange

A handful of fresh Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and, Thyme sprigs. 

 

Heat some of the cider and dissolve the honey and the salt in the liquid then mix all the contents and chill. You want your brine at about 35 deg or so before you add the chicken. I usually brine over night. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, A.O. said:

So do you use the deflectors when cooking this chicken, or high rack over open coals?

I cooked indirect using the deflectors. I got that from a YouTube video, as I’m still a Kamado newbie. I had it on the high rack hoping that dome heat would help crisp the skin. Skin was ok, but not as crispy as I would have liked. I’ll try the Joetisserie next time. If I spatchcock again, I’ll use a higher temp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I use this brine I took from an Adam Perry Lang cook pork. He initially used it on pork but I use it on both pork and chicken, even my thanksgiving turkey.

 

2 cups apple cider

1 cup honey

1/2cup kosher salt

1/2 cup orange juice

1 thin sliced orange

A handful of fresh Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and, Thyme sprigs. 

 

Heat some of the cider and dissolve the honey and the salt in the liquid then mix all the contents and chill. You want your brine at about 35 deg or so before you add the chicken. I usually brine over night. 

Looks good, I will try that sometime, this time I want to try that "Cornell Chicken".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, jark87 said:

I cooked indirect using the deflectors. I got that from a YouTube video, as I’m still a Kamado newbie. I had it on the high rack hoping that dome heat would help crisp the skin. Skin was ok, but not as crispy as I would have liked. I’ll try the Joetisserie next time. If I spatchcock again, I’ll use a higher temp.

I may try one of the deflectors that way I can move it around if I think it needs it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GrillnBrew said:

I cook direct at 350-375 and use the extender rack to keep it from getting a char. Being up in the dome also helps cook and crisp the top of the chicken, so it cooks a bit quicker.

I do not have the extender rack... yet... but fathers day is Sunday and its on my list.:-D

but not in time for todays cook...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If your looking for crisp skin, slather your spatchcock chicken with good olive oil, then sprinkle it with a good amount of kosher salt, and let it sit uncovered in the fridge for at least two hours before you put it on the grill. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

If your looking for crisp skin, slather your spatchcock chicken with good olive oil, then sprinkle it with a good amount of kosher salt, and let it sit uncovered in the fridge for at least two hours before you put it on the grill. 

Too late

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...