Customer Service is ignoring my claim of a broken firebox

RodRussell

My Kamado Joe Jr. arrived two weeks ago. When In unpacked it, I noticed that the firebox was broken. I went to the Kamado website and registered and filled out all of the blanks about the claim and uploaded photos of my paperwork and of the broken firebox. I almost immediately received an email giving me a claim number and assuring me that a representative would get back to me within 5 business days. It now has been two weeks since that email, and I have heard nothing further from Kamado. I have since followed up with another email asking for the status, and in reply I received a request to complete a satisfaction survey but nothing more than that.

Can anyone recommend how I can get Kamado to pay attention to my claim and replace the broken firebox so that I can start cooking?

For what it's worth, I have never received any response from KJ customer service other than what you mention, an automatic email with a claim number.  But I have so far always received a replacement item, unannounced, delivered to my house (although 2 times might be a bit of a small sample size for "always").  Just shows up out of the blue with no notice of shipment or anything.

I understand how you feel, it's frustrating and unprofessional.  But hopefully one of these days you'll be surprised by a delivery of a replacement firebox.  I personally hate talking on the phone, but even I think that it would make a world of difference if they just had someone you could talk to.

In the meantime, how broken is the firebox?  You might be able to use it for now with some minor repairs until you can get a new one.

I not only filled out the on-line claim form, but today I found and called three Kamado Joe phone numbers -- 706-256-3943, 678-866-0642, and 877-215-6299. All were recordings. The "mailbox" for the first one was "full". The second one referred me to the third one. The third one stated that all warranty claims are handled "exclusively" via the website, and that all claims will be dealt with within two business days. It has been 10 business days since I submitted the claim.

Thanks, AJS390. That is somewhat promising information. They all must be very shy in the customer service dept. The firebox is chipped on the edge, down to the subsurface. It probably is usable, at least for the short term. I just did not want to use it until I heard from them about whether that was okay or not.

If your firebox is just chipped or even  cracked, but still continues to be capable of  holding a load of lump you can cook with it. I cook on a large BGE and have a couple of cracks in my fire box. I contacted BGE and got a replacement probably a year ago, however, I continue to cook on the cracked one and will do so as long as it will still hold a load of charcoal. I have seen posts where folks assemble a fire box broken in pieces and still cook with it.  (A cracked outer  case, however, is IMO a safety hazard) Again sorry your dealing with this. 

Today I received this email from Kamado Joe:

"Thank you for contacting Kamado Joe customer support. I see a resolution was provided in claim #.... Your firebox is currently on backorder and you will receive tracking information via email once shipped. Your grill is safe to use in the mean time and will not void warranty."

20 minutes ago, RodRussell said:

"Thank you for contacting Kamado Joe customer support. I see a resolution was provided in claim #.... Your firebox is currently on backorder and you will receive tracking information via email once shipped. Your grill is safe to use in the mean time and will not void warranty."

Well, that's good, a new fire box is ordered and will be shipped, and you can cook on the old one until it comes. No worries. Enjoy your new grill, your entry into kamado cooking, and the forum conversation as well. . 

I had a bunch of damaged parts in my grill when I first got it. It took them 3 months to get me a firebox petal. The cracked base took 6 months to show up.

In their defense, this was 8/2020 - 3/2021, so COVID was in full swing.

FWIW, 10 months later, I'm still cooking on the original broken firebox petal (it's missing a corner). The new one is still in the box.

I received a replacement firebox for my Big Joe sometime in April 2018 and I still haven't taken it out of the box. I figured I'd wait until the original one fell apart, but at some point the crack stopped getting bigger and it's been stable for probably a year and a half or more now. I just keep on cooking....

On 6/19/2021 at 11:09 AM, RodRussell said:

I would recommend buying some JB Weld and repairing your broken firebox and continue using it until KJ support gets back with you.

On 6/21/2021 at 8:11 PM, CentralTexBBQ said:

+1, I thought there used to be a rule about your first post not being a a complaint about customer service

I gave up on that.  It was a losing battle and I was tired of being painted as a KJ Fan boy.  I am a KJ fan boy but I am tired of defending them.

Ya'll may have seen some of my post on KJ warranty experiences.  I don't understand why some have such

problems.  I don't.  Now at first it seemed a little awkward when I made my first claim but since that time I 

only have praise for how they handled my issues.

As far as the cracked fire box, they are on backorder due around mid July based on my last email.  They sent

me a soap stone at no charge to compensate me for my 3 month delay on my cracked bottom fire ring.  That

makes me a happy smoker!

One thing I am very careful of is how I word my emails.  I don't know if that makes any difference but I thought 

I would share that.  I never rant with them.  I only rant here.  LOL

KJ customer service is top notch in by book.  Remember, most of the parts come from 

China and ocean travel may have a lot to do with these delays.

Forget phone calls.  Make sure you have registered your KJ before you file a claim.