Father’s Day Briskets

I’ve really been fortunate of late. I found a brisket on clearance @ RD for about $2 per all told and these two when they’re $5 and up @ both Rd and Costco. 

Going to bed with temps unfortunately fluctuating. I’ll hash it out in the am. 

2E44CABE-A282-4B52-BBC7-F231EAAF3AAE.thumb.jpeg.fb2ed49d4604c49feda3813c4c581c38.jpeg

oops, thought i hit submit on that @4am. anyway, just woke up and must have been cooking in the 290’s or better. Both ready to pull. And the cardboard Is A Thing with me from now on. Resting before the hold so the temp drops considerably. 

98C80446-39AE-48BB-A59B-BF26DD30E328.thumb.jpeg.22787b4d23e3e637b0cf663877d3e5e7.jpeg

Gratuitously stolen from another web site...

Cook on cardboard: The bottom of a packer brisket is lean meat from the flat and it sometimes becomes burned or tough during the 15 hours it takes to smoke a brisket. Hometown’s Billy Durney has an ingenious solution: he cooks the briskets on rectangles of cardboard (perforated with a knife beforehand to allow the smoke to reach the meat). “This keeps the bottoms from drying it, and it also facilitates moving the briskets from smoker to warming box.

4 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

What’s the deal with the cardboard, @CentralTexBBQ?

It is to protect the flat and bottom of brisket but no concern about 15 hours.  A 15hr cook equals at least five hours I could have spent doing something else.

Anyway, it originated on brick pits where they were cooking directly over coals. I am adopting it because i tend to cook fairly large briskets and even though both of these were smaller, they nevertheless were extremely long and very close to overhanging the grill grate.