Downside Of Cooking For Friends

You know @John Setzler, you could always invite the good folks herein and you know that we would a) enjoy your choice of food offering and b) bring liquid refreshments that YOU would enjoy!  Heck, I’d head down the I-75 from the Detroit area and be there in about 16 hours or so.  And none of us would look like your nephews!

My wife can be quick to volunteer me if I give the slightest hint I may cook something. She thinks the world of my cooks and wants everyone else to think that too, but is not synced up with the expectations of those eating/not eating/turning their nose at my cook.

This just happened yesterday. She tells me our friends will probably cater in some BBQ on the 4th.  I say, “Great”.  My thoughts being I probably will make my favorite sauce up and bring it along.

I only do cooks on a “pot luck” basis as contributor, not the main focus.

27 minutes ago, mike echo said:

My wife can be quick to volunteer me if I give the slightest hint I may cook something. She thinks the world of my cooks and wants everyone else to think that too, but is not synced up with the expectations of those eating/not eating/turning their nose at my cook.

This just happened yesterday. She tells me our friends will probably cater in some BBQ on the 4th.  I say, “Great”.  My thoughts being I probably will make my favorite sauce up and bring it along.

Where I really got myself in trouble was when Tonya and I got married.  We had an "I Do Barbecue" event where we got married and had a big barbecue lunch at an outdoor venue.   I cooked all of the food for the meal for about 75 people.  We had pulled pork bbq, baked beans, coleslaw, cornbread, and homemade bbq sauces.....

18 hours ago, John Setzler said:

My problem is that my family wants me to cook for family gatherings also and I am currently refusing to do it any more.  This family is the hardest bunch to feed I have ever seen, my wife being the most difficult.  I can't cook pork because someone has gout and won't eat it.  I can't cook fish or seafood because about half of the family won't eat that.  My wife won't eat brisket, pulled pork, chicken, turkey, or any kind of seafood.  The two nephews won't eat any of it.  Every time they come here to a family meal, there is a mcdonalds or taco bell stop before they get here.  Their parent's let the kids decide what they eat so they always eat fast food.  I can't cook steaks because I am not cooking steaks for a crowd where i have to cook them to three different levels of doneness.  I could do hot dogs, hamburgers, or maybe pork loin/tenderloin and those are about the only things everyone would eat.  That bores me so I'm just not gonna be the cook.

If I exclude my wife, I can cook chicken.  I think everyone but the nephews will eat chicken.  They will eat chicken too but it has to be in the form of chicken mcnuggets.

Wow, they are losing out since you enjoy smoking and proficient in all types of protein.

But I bet you can make them happy by making kamado pizzas.

13 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Where I really got myself in trouble was when Tonya and I got married.  We had an "I Do Barbecue" event where we got married and had a big barbecue lunch at an outdoor venue.   I cooked all of the food for the meal for about 75 people.  We had pulled pork bbq, baked beans, coleslaw, cornbread, and homemade bbq sauces.....

So, you catered your own wedding reception?

I too found the hardest people to cook for is family. When we go to visit wife's family in California there is usually 3-4 main dishes No easy pizza either, especially when i have to put pineapple on one, ( sorry that's soooo wrong) but to each their own. I'll have some help this year due to my grand son got an Akorn and is cooking up a storm, plus he has developed a taste for Makers Mark. Don't know where that came from. Everyone have a smoking good 4th of July, HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA

14 hours ago, mike echo said:

I prefer my food to be the main focus but it does come with caveats. Every Thanksgiving there are two turkeys, sometimes three. One my SIL roasts in the oven, one I smoke. For a few years, a nephew would fry a turkey. Though I not at all concerned about my misbehaving nephew, since he's not a sibling, it gets 'political' when everyone is going for my smoked turkey (even my SIL) and few are touching her roasted bird. That's a lot of man hours invested on her part. So, I try to tone it down when I can or try unsuccessfully to suggest I cook something else.

Like this 4th, for instance (actually Monday), the family is coming over and I have to make sure to leave my brother something to cook on the grill. He's a great cook in his own right but he grills and I bbq, you know– lower, slower, better. :-D 

@John Setzler, I remember the lead up to your cooking for your wedding, though I may have missed the followup post. I thought it insane at the time because, my wedding alone wiped me out totally and I was 25 at the time.

I rarely cook for a crowd but like you, John, I cooked for me and Mrs skreef's wedding reception. Pulled pork, beans and what not. I definitely didn't want to eat someone else's mediocre food. 

Now I've gone and volunteered to cook for a private campground we're going to the first week of August. The owners are really kewl and they squeezed us in recently when they had a fully booked weekend. They have 30 campsites and we'll cook on a Wednesday. I'm figuring probably 50 people. I'm scared just thinking about it. 

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

I rarely cook for a crowd but like you, John, I cooked for me and Mrs skreef's wedding reception. Pulled pork, beans and what not. I definitely didn't want to eat someone else's mediocre food. 

Now I've gone and volunteered to cook for a private campground we're going to the first week of August. The owners are really kewl and they squeezed us in recently when they had a fully booked weekend. They have 30 campsites and we'll cook on a Wednesday. I'm figuring probably 50 people. I'm scared just thinking about it. 

Sounds like fun to me... what are you gonna be cooking on?

4 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Sounds like fun to me... what are you gonna be cooking on?

Either pre-cook the butts at home on the KK or there's a pellet grill there I can use. Haven't decided. 

I have 24 lbs of Boston butt. After cooking I figure 15-18 lbs. With 1/4 - 1/3 pound sandwiches I figure 50+ sandwiches plus sides of course.

Does that sound like enough or should I get more meat? 

27 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

the "catering" minimum is supposedly 1/2lb. per person. In my experience that ensures you have more than enough. Extra healthy eaters or a longer event where appetites can flare up again, at least 3/4lb. per.

Thanks for that. I'll get a final camper count in a week or so. This event won't last longer and this is a campground with a predominantly older crowd whose appetite probably isn't what a predominantly younger crowd would have. I'll give this some more thought once I get a head count. 

As expected the requirements have changed and the 6pm time the requested for food is now 3:00, effectively eliminating the 4 hours i need to cook this properly and transport it. I’m faced with either bailing, cooking the chicken prior to 10am or just doing a quick grill on a preheated joe around 2pm. None of the options is appealing to me. 

22 hours ago, ckreef said:

Either pre-cook the butts at home on the KK or there's a pellet grill there I can use. Haven't decided. 

I have 24 lbs of Boston butt. After cooking I figure 15-18 lbs. With 1/4 - 1/3 pound sandwiches I figure 50+ sandwiches plus sides of course.

Does that sound like enough or should I get more meat? 

I always err on the side of leftovers :)