Twice the meat, more time?

Planning to cook couple pork shoulders for the neighborhood backyard get together on the 4th.  Does it take longer cooking two butts instead of one?  I am thinking it shouldn't increase significantly if temp is constant and I keep the two butts separated.

It might take slightly longer. WE cool by the meat absorbing the heat from the dome, more meat the more their is to absorb from the dome we compensate for this by the vent settings might be slightly different to keep the air temp the same and don't forget the meat is in charge the same sized butts may finish at different times. Above all have a good fourth.

As long as both pieces of meat will fit on the grill at the same time, it will not take any more time to cook two.

Simply insert your food-thermometer probe into one of them, and assume that the other one will be the same.

(Please note that my cooking experience is so far limited to "grilling and roasting," with only my just-now this-week first foray into "low-and-slow smoking.")

I'm with dman. Turbo is the way to go. I have good as high as 33OF on butts. Knocks them right out.

To the OP, IME if you fill the cooker too full it can adversely impact cooking. As long as there is plenty of airflow, the impact is fairly small. By the time you factor in that each cut can be done at different times, it is more important to keep an eye on IT at the end of the cook. Cooks are done when they are done. In the case of two butts, the time should be fairly close to cooking just one. Good luck.

On 7/1/2021 at 12:16 AM, CentralTexBBQ said:

My goodness @dman, at 5 1/2 hours you're burning pretty hot. lol

On my first butt it took 5 1/2 hours also for a 10 pounder, came to find out my thermometer was off so I probably cooked it in that 330 degree area, and the butt was perfect!

Well my dome thermometer is usually 40 degrees or so under a grate temp probe. I’ve stopped using grate temp devices and just go by the dome. I don’t really care about the grill level temp. The meat tells me when it’s done or my Thermopen does. Simpler.