New kamado owner

Sgtsmokeky

Good day to all. I just received my first kamado grill, the lifesmart 15” grill. 

I am very enthusiastic to see what this little guy can do. Primarily chose based on quality/price ratio as a starter. 

I already have some nice milled cedar from my family’s farmland that I will be making myself a stand with. I am a avid wood worker so this should go very well. 

I do have a lot of questions as I have never smoked meat. Only owned gas and a few Weber kettles over the years. Already have a nice remote probe on the way. 

Welcome to the Guru. There are a lot of people here who are willing to answer your questions. Some members would also be interested in seeing how you build your stand. Post pics in the Do it Yourself forum.

Here is a great reference to help you move forward on your kamado cooking journey.

Thank you Golf Griller! 
haven’t decided on the theme yet, university of Kentucky basketball or military theme. 

army veteran. 

I like to put some extras on my projects to set apart so stay tuned.

7 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

Welcome to the Guru. There are a lot of people here who are willing to answer your questions. Some members would also be interested in seeing how you build your stand. Post pics in the Do it Yourself forum.

Here is a great reference to help you move forward on your kamado cooking journey.

Thank you for the book just finished reading it page for page! It instantly answered a lot of questions I had and reassured me that this was indeed my place of buisness. I have always wanted to be a meat smoker but never wanted the fuss of a traditional smoker. Let the Kamado do all the work! After all isn’t that why he costs so much lol. Never cared for long cooks simply lacked patience. But with this fire and forget j may come around to it. Can’t do a big shoulder but a small one should work just fine. 

truly appreciate this share and the warm welcome. Hope I can earn my keep around here 

Sgt  Once you get to know and how to control them their not exactly fire and forget but they don't need to be baby sat either. the kamado it is easy to use. Once you get past the learning curve it's relative easy to use. Hope your having something cooking this weekend Looking forward to seeing your handy work on a stand.

6 hours ago, len440 said:

Sgt  Once you get to know and how to control them their not exactly fire and forget but they don't need to be baby sat either. the kamado it is easy to use. Once you get past the learning curve it's relative easy to use. Hope your having something cooking this weekend Looking forward to seeing your handy work on a stand.

Thank you Jeffieboy! I will definitely send some pics. Really looking forward to this build. 

On 7/1/2021 at 2:29 PM, len440 said:

Welcome Sgt. That's a good book Golf posted. Thanks for your service and hope you enjoy your Kamado

Thank you len440. You are most welcome. 
glad to be aboard and ready to smoke some meats! 

Here in Southern Arizona, outside temperatures often reach 110*-115* in Summer.  The thermometer on my Primo will reflect that outside temp.  But when I want to cook at 250*, or any other temp, I disregard the existing outside temperature reading and go only by the reading on the inside dome of the Primo.  That is to say I do not subtract 100* from the target dome temperature reading.