First overnight cook pork butts on the Weber summit kamado

So started my first overnight cook (two 5 1/2 pound pork shoulders) on my Weber summit kamado very early this morning. Planned for 10-12 hours at 225-250 so it could get rested and pulled for an early dinner at 4pm. We're hosting a baby shower for my sister in law so want plenty of food without me standing over the BBQ too much whilst people are here. I've been finding sourcing large pork cuts tricky here in the UK but spotted 2.5 kg pork shoulders in costco so picked a couple up.

Did a basic rub of salt, sugar, paprika, garlic powder, chilli and sage. Left the cuts to sweat for a couple of hours and got the grill set up. 

I had some problems getting the temperature stable in the first place, I was aiming to start the grill about 11 and get the meat on for midnight. I overshot the temp, I think because I added too much lit coal, so spent untill 1am getting the temp back down and stable. I put the meat on at about 12.30am. Not planning to look at the grill again until the morning.

Got woken up by the kids so checked the temperatures at about 3 am and all was good. This morning I woke up at 8 to find the fire had gone out. Looks like either the ash from my briquettes had blocked the lower air intake or I'd set the vents too low in the first place. Think I'll try lumpwood next time and see if that's better.

I've got the grill back up to temperature now (about 9.30am) and fingers crossed 4/5 more hours will do it. Internal temp has just hit 152 so I'm pretty sure it should still be fine. The dome is currently at 260 which is slightly higher than I want but probably not a bad thing all things considered.

I wasn't planning to wrap the meat when it hit the stall but now am thinking it might be a good idea. I think I'll see where it's at at 11am. 

Atmospheric picture of the grill being lit and the pork shoulders going on from last night:

IMG_20210702_231512.thumb.jpg.49b12e3afecca28e69dda1bf45d78332.jpg

IMG_20210703_002242.thumb.jpg.82f7aa042a540b37381756107ab0478f.jpg

Will update with how they turn out later 

Decided to foil at 11 as they seemed to have stalled around 174 degrees. 

Going to up the dome temp to 300 now there wrapped, still aiming to get them off the grill in the next 1 to 2 hours 

Thanks for the post.  In my experience, for low/slow it is best to start with only a few lit coals as you need to keep the burn area small.  If you start with too many lit coals, like you experienced, it can be difficult to reverse the temperature rise.

When starting the fire, I set my lower vent to the "smoke" setting, and upper vent closed, but all holes fully open.  I find for 240-260 degree temps, I build a nice pile of briquettes and/or lump on the lower charcoal grate, and then start the fire then using my torch to only get a a very small area burning.  Then I drop on the diffuser plate, my other grates and drip pans.  I let it SLOWLY come up to temp (again, lower vent on smoke, upper vent closed, but 4 holes fully open).  Usually takes 45 minutes or so....do not rush this step.

Then, as it approaches 200 degrees or so, I reduce the upper vent holes to about 1/4 open.  Then as it hits roughly 225-240, I reduce the upper vents to about 1/8th open...it will usually settle right it for the long haul.

One tip for you for next time is to go to your nearest butcher and tell them you want a "neck end pork shoulder, spine removed, blade bone left in. Rind off (but do keep the rind for crackling). About 5Kg"

Any halfway decent butcher should know exactly what you are asking for.

One of these will be very happy overnight at 225-250F. Put it on around 10pm or so and it should be done by lunchtime. Keep it wrapped in foil and towels to relax in a coolbox for a few hours and you are set for a late Sunday lunch for 12+ people.

Myself, I never wrap or foil at all until the meat is finished cooking. 

Definitely do try lumpwood charcoal next time. Order online from Big K and it will get delivered for free to your door if you buy a couple of bags.

https://bigkproducts.co.uk/range/professional/

The Dura, Marabou and Flama are all excellent charcoal. Personally, I am leaning towards the Marabou. Its fairly new, but burns long and hot.

Good luck and have fun!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By philpom
      they've been on for a bit, cruising at 215°f.  Going to finish each one differently but still debating the details.

• By Tarnation
      Dumped in the last of my Cowboy lump for a Saturday night pork butt. If you've seen any of the negative comments on Cowboy I didn't have any problems with the bag I had.  It was definitely a lot smokier start than my old KJ Big Block, but produced good food. See you smoke Cowboy! Up next is a bag of RO XL cut should be fun.  For now I've got a pork butt to cook.

• By Kamado_Rich
      Ok so I started my first pork butt cook with a pit temp of 275.  It is a 8 pound bone in pork but.  After 2 hours the internal meat temp is already 124!?!  Is this normal?  I was thinking at 275 I was looking at about an hour a pound?  I backed the pit down to 250.  Should I be worried or am I over thinking this?
    • By DerHusker
      I love Tacos al pastor but have never made them myself. They are a popular street food here in SoCal and Mexico and I finally decided to try my hand at making some. Forgive me as this is a long one.

I started out by thawing a Pork Butt I had in the freezer that I had purchased on sale for $.99 a lb. (7.93 lbs.)

I unwrapped it and found there was still some ice crystals on it. (which is what I was hoping for to make cutting it easier)

I cut it in half and deboned the other half.

I proceeded to cut it all up into approximately 3/8” slices.

I placed this into a large container, covered it and placed it into the fridge. I now gathered up the ingredients for the al pastor marinade.

Here’s the recipe I used. (It’s a combination of several recipes I watched on YouTube) Not shown in the picture are the pineapple juice and the vinegar.

8 lb bone-in pork shoulder (deboned)

4 tablespoons achiote paste (I used 1 – 3.5 oz. brick)

2 guajillo peppers (seeded and re-hydrated)

2 ancho peppers (seeded and re-hydrated)

3 Chipotle peppers + all the adobo sauce from 1 - 7 oz. can

5 garlic cloves

¼ small white or yellow onion

1 oz. Piloncillo (substitute brown sugar if you can find it)

1 tbsp. dried oregano (preferably Mexican)

1 tbsp. cumin                                                                            

1 tbsp. salt

1 tbsp. pepper

1 tsp. cinnamon (preferably Mexican)

1 tsp, cloves

½ cup pineapple juice

½ cup white vinegar

¼ cup OO

¼ cup of the water from re-hydrating the peppers

¼ cup orange juice

¼ cup lime juice

1 pineapple, skinned and sliced into 1-inch (2 cm) rounds (for the spit/trompo)

(Note: I only had some small guajillo chiles so I used 6 of them)

Everybody went into the pool for a spin.

I poured some marinade into the bottom of a very large bowl and then some pork slices.

I repeated this process until all the pork was in the bowl and pour the rest of the marinade over the top. I then stirred it until everything had a nice coating.

Now how will I cook this? Tacos al pastor is a dish developed in central Mexico that is based on shawarma spit grilled meat brought by Lebanese immigrants. It is traditionally cooked on a vertical spit known as a trompo. I don’t have such an exotic grill, so I had to improvise. I had found this indoor grill plate at a local thrift store for $2.17

and used it to create a vertical spit.

I now peeled and sliced up the pineapple

And started my vertical trompo stack adding a slice of pineapple and red onion after every 6 or 7 layers of meat.

I place the stack in the center of my weber redhead with coals all around it.

I then setup my craving station.

Here it is after approximately 30 minutes.

After approximately 75 minutes I removed the trompo and craved off the outer charred layer. (The char is an important part of the taste profile)

I then placed the trompo back in the redhead to char the outside again.

So pretty!

I then repeated the process another 3 times.

After I had trimmed off the outside 3 times I set up my taco cart errrr bar

and started to assemble my street taco plate.

Oh Yum!

Here it is served up with a Modelo Especial.

This was a little on the spicy side but oh so delicious!         

Thanks for looking.

• By buckleybj
      I accidentally bought a two pack of bonless pork shoulder from Costco. I have always used bone-in, so this is new to me. As I was preparing the butts trimming sinew, silver skin, hard fat, veins etc, I started also cutting portions of the butts into sections. I now have two 4 lb boneless butts and several large scraps.

This has provided me the opportunity to use the vertical spit I bought from Ceramicgrillstore.com a few months ago. I'm excited to say the least. 

I'll post picture of the meal later this afternoon when I build it get it going. Here are pics of what I ended up with after trimming and then the portions I will smoke overnight for pulled pork tomorrow.