Belated Father's Day Celebration Meal

Originally I was going to cook some ribeye steaks and scallops for Father's Day, but fate (see below) had other plans. Those items were given away or repurposed, and I had to wait until last night for a second chance at my Father's Day meal. In the interim, I found a piece of tri-tip at the grocers and thought I'd try something out.

Menu:

Braised Tri-tip with Parmesan Cream Sauce

Pan-Fried Scallops

Garlic and Rosemary Potatoes

Grilled Seasoned Asparagus

20210702_1800582tkuv.jpg

The meat was seasoned with salt, extra pepper, and paprika, then seared. Then two cups of Marsala wine and one of beef broth were added, along with chopped garlic, bay leaves, and rosemary and thyme sprigs from the garden. I cooked it for about 40 minutes with the lid off to grab extra flavor, then closed it up for the remainder for about 4.5 hours of total cook. When it was done, I pulled the very tender meat out to rest and cooked down the juices to concentrate the flavor.  When I chopped up the meat the pieces went back in this concentrate.  The cream sauce was just heavy cream, butter, goat cheese, parmesan, oregano, and basil flakes.

20210702_130027l0kqr.jpg

20210702_160626cwkiu.jpg

20210702_164939grk53.jpg

The potatoes were cooked with a stick of butter, chopped rosemary, and garlic. When the meat was pulled off the grill, the foil pack of the asparagus went on. When the potatoes were done, I removed them to a bowl, then I ramped up the grill temp to cook the scallops in the potato butter. Should have gone hotter for a better sear, but time was getting tight.

20210702_171958rej5f.jpg

I was very happy with how everything turned out, the cream sauce especially. It paired great with everything on the plate.

And now for what could possibly cause me to cancel Father's Day with my wife and son? Well, this little princess decided to gift herself on the 20th for a surprise gift Father's Day morning, a bit earlier than we were expecting.

20210625_16125189kig.jpg

Her appetite is nearly insatiable, so it won't be long before the problem of what to do with the pulled pork leftovers takes care of itself.

• 2 weeks later...