What’s cookin’ America? July 4th 2021

What are all you patriots cookin this weekend to celebrate our great nations birthday? I am going in on a Boston butt, first time ever so here’s hoping it turns out good. Kansas City rub with a sweet Carolina sticky fingers sauce for topping once pulled. Going sweet and smoky. Using pecan wood for the smoke. Got up at 5 am and started my cook. Once pulled I plan to serve on brioche buns. 

Today's brisket turned out to be the best one I've ever made. I have only done 4 at this point, and there was always something I didn't like about it.

• Cooked it bare to 165
  • Pulled it, wrapped in parchment paper
  • Cooked it wrapped until 205
  • Let it rest on the counter, wrapped, for 1 hour

That's pretty much it!

PXL_20210704_232053606.jpg

I cooked baby backs for the first time on my KJ Classic 3. I normally cook ribs in my Pit Barrel because it cooks hot and fast plus I can hang 8 racks at once. But I wanted to see how the KJ would do. I followed a Chef Eric recipe from the KJ channel, but used my favorite rub (Meathead’s Memphis Rub + jalapeño powder for a kick), laid down some Mike’s Hot Honey in the wrap, along with mustard, butter and more Dust.

Flavor was great, but ribs truly fell off the bone - way too “soft” for my taste. I cooked using a dome temp of 300° and had 2 racks on the lower grates and 1 rack on the extendor grate, using the Sloroller. I had ambient probes on both grates and each read roughly 325° during the entire cook. I’m wondering if I ran it a little hot?

All in all, a nice 4th of July dinner (wife added baked beans and dirty rice), combined with great weather and a cool swim!

CE5A4C94-5302-47AB-B64A-8A3970DCBC48.jpeg

24BF80CF-B594-4111-8368-F3F31E246BF1.jpeg

668D5004-3756-472A-AE8A-98E8BE273517.jpeg

14 hours ago, jark87 said:

I cooked baby backs for the first time on my KJ Classic 3. I normally cook ribs in my Pit Barrel because it cooks hot and fast plus I can hang 8 racks at once. But I wanted to see how the KJ would do. I followed a Chef Eric recipe from the KJ channel, but used my favorite rub (Meathead’s Memphis Rub + jalapeño powder for a kick), laid down some Mike’s Hot Honey in the wrap, along with mustard, butter and more Dust.

Flavor was great, but ribs truly fell off the bone - way too “soft” for my taste. I cooked using a dome temp of 300° and had 2 racks on the lower grates and 1 rack on the extendor grate, using the Sloroller. I had ambient probes on both grates and each read roughly 325° during the entire cook. I’m wondering if I ran it a little hot?

All in all, a nice 4th of July dinner (wife added baked beans and dirty rice), combined with great weather and a cool swim!

CE5A4C94-5302-47AB-B64A-8A3970DCBC48.jpeg

24BF80CF-B594-4111-8368-F3F31E246BF1.jpeg

668D5004-3756-472A-AE8A-98E8BE273517.jpeg

And how long did you cook them?

On 7/4/2021 at 8:37 AM, jtemple said:

Yesterday, my son had some friends over, and they asked for ribs. I had to do a rush job on them, but they turned out fantastic.

Last night, I threw a brisket on for tonight. It's currently wrapped in parchment paper, finishing up.

PXL_20210704_002442818.jpg

Image 002.png

Looks amazing!!! Finger lickin good!!!

On 7/4/2021 at 7:30 AM, Sgtsmokeky said:

What are all you patriots cookin this weekend to celebrate our great nations birthday? I am going in on a Boston butt, first time ever so here’s hoping it turns out good. Kansas City rub with a sweet Carolina sticky fingers sauce for topping once pulled. Going sweet and smoky. Using pecan wood for the smoke. Got up at 5 am and started my cook. Once pulled I plan to serve on brioche buns. 

Got up at 5am yesterday and started my cook to be safe. First time and I was very pleased with the results. My wife has been enjoying it a lot. I had to go to the Texas crutch once I hit about 179 but it worked out very nice. Very tender and moist with the right amount of smoke for my taste. That rub I used was very good. Kroger private selections Kansas City recipe. 
sweet and a little savory. 

BFD1C387-E396-4C12-9F6E-7BAC22153520.jpeg

On 7/4/2021 at 11:24 AM, A.O. said:

Put a Boston butt on this morning around 7, my second, hope it turns out as good as my first. Salt/pepper/garlic and a little brown sugar is my rub of the day.

IMG_5885.JPG

Sounds really good!