What’s cookin’ America? July 4th 2021

On 7/4/2021 at 10:14 PM, jark87 said:

I cooked baby backs for the first time on my KJ Classic 3. I normally cook ribs in my Pit Barrel because it cooks hot and fast plus I can hang 8 racks at once. But I wanted to see how the KJ would do. I followed a Chef Eric recipe from the KJ channel, but used my favorite rub (Meathead’s Memphis Rub + jalapeño powder for a kick), laid down some Mike’s Hot Honey in the wrap, along with mustard, butter and more Dust.

Flavor was great, but ribs truly fell off the bone - way too “soft” for my taste. I cooked using a dome temp of 300° and had 2 racks on the lower grates and 1 rack on the extendor grate, using the Sloroller. I had ambient probes on both grates and each read roughly 325° during the entire cook. I’m wondering if I ran it a little hot?

All in all, a nice 4th of July dinner (wife added baked beans and dirty rice), combined with great weather and a cool swim!

I don't enjoy fall off  the bone either yours may have cooked at too high a temp or too long or a combo of both. I do mine at 225 -250 for 4-5 hrs, but there is no prefect temp or time. It will take a few cooks to find the sweet zone for ribs. The crispy ends on the racks are what hangs over the edge of the deflector and is in the direct line of fire (no pun intended) of the heat rising up from the edges of the deflector or slo roller. I usually cut the small ends off and use them for the grillers treats.

On 7/4/2021 at 10:14 PM, jark87 said:

I cooked baby backs for the first time on my KJ Classic 3. I normally cook ribs in my Pit Barrel because it cooks hot and fast plus I can hang 8 racks at once. But I wanted to see how the KJ would do. I followed a Chef Eric recipe from the KJ channel, but used my favorite rub (Meathead’s Memphis Rub + jalapeño powder for a kick), laid down some Mike’s Hot Honey in the wrap, along with mustard, butter and more Dust.

Flavor was great, but ribs truly fell off the bone - way too “soft” for my taste. I cooked using a dome temp of 300° and had 2 racks on the lower grates and 1 rack on the extendor grate, using the Sloroller. I had ambient probes on both grates and each read roughly 325° during the entire cook. I’m wondering if I ran it a little hot?

All in all, a nice 4th of July dinner (wife added baked beans and dirty rice), combined with great weather and a cool swim!

I don't enjoy fall off  the bone either yours may have cooked at too high a temp or too long or a combo of both. I do mine at 225 -250 for 4-5 hrs, but there is no prefect temp or time. It will take a few cooks to find the sweet zone for ribs. The crispy ends on the racks are what hangs over the edge of the deflector and is in the direct line of fire (no pun intended) of the heat rising up from the edges of the deflector or slo roller. I usually cut the small ends off and use them for the grillers treats.

I cooked two Boston butts for the neighborhood get together.   Based on previous experience I added 1/2 cup of apple juice/apple cider vinegar to it when I wrapped at 165F.  The results was wonderful, the meat was moist and they got rave reviews.  All left overs were taken home by attendees.  Good thing I saved some for ourselves after shredding :)

IMG_1720.jpg

Capture.JPG

On 7/5/2021 at 11:36 AM, A.O. said:

And how long did you cook them?

Sorry my original reply got stuck in the quote of your question. 

Just under 3 hours. Wrapped at the 1.5 hour mark, which seemed fine because the rub had set and there was very little bone exposure at that point. This is the first cook that the grate temp vs dome temp seems to have affected the outcome. Either that or it was the wrap. I usually don’t wrap and can can tell visually when the ribs are done - bone exposure and the bend test. I was really surprised at the texture in less than 3 hours. My Pit Barrel cooks around 300° and baby backs are perfect right at 3 hours. 

5 hours ago, len440 said:

I usually cut the small ends off and use them for the grillers treats.

Me too, but I cut the ends off after the cook instead of trimming in advance.  I was a little surprised at how tight an 18” grill grate is. Seems like every cooker I get has a smaller cooking area, which is the opposite of most people. I haven’t tried a brisket on the KJ yet, but I suspect I’ll need a rib rack or something to get a large one to fit. Kinda wish I had just forked over the extra cash for the Big Joe.

Jark

I have thought about i should have spent the bucks for a big joe but there is only the 2 of us, but with some thought and planning i can get the whole family on the grill when they come over. My son when he does his buys spare ribs and makes his own st louis cut ribs the rib tips and that flappy thing he cuts off ( I'm sure there is a real

name for this) and has them for his grill treats. My Mom would use those when she made pasta sauce.  

23 hours ago, A.O. said:

And you should be dang it , I just had to sit there and read all that stuff twice!!

AO the bad thing is I was half way through reading it before i realized it sounded familiar