First attempt on kamado joe Jr and having little hard time to stay with  250°F.

TN1984

First attempt on kamado joe Jr and having little hard time to stay with  250°F...

The temperature keep going up even if i just open less than a finger gap on the bottom vent
Attached pictures of how much charcoal I put....
Is it way too much for 2 hrs cooked with low temp
Please correct me or give me suggestion how to improve myself
Turn out pretty good but still need a lot of practices

Thanks

IMG_20210704_161634.jpg

IMG_20210704_162358.jpg

IMG_20210704_162400.jpg

IMG_20210704_165822.jpg

IMG_20210704_174851.jpg

IMG_20210704_191351a.jpg

Not too much lump, looks about right to me. 

Vents are open too much. You probably need about the width of a credit card not a finger. Kamados are so efficient that when you get them lit they really need just a smidgen of air to maintain a low temperature. 

24 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Not too much lump, looks about right to me. 

Vents are open too much. You probably need about the width of a credit card not a finger. Kamados are so efficient that when you get them lit they really need just a smidgen of air to maintain a low temperature. 

thanks for the input :) that's similar to how much i adjusted ....when the temperature keep going up and i try to close it up little by little.

It's also harder to bring them back down once you overshoot your temperature by any significant amount. The best approach is to start cutting off the air below the target temperature, then let it slowly come up to temp. I usually start closing vents around 25-50 degrees below the desired temp.

For 250-270, 1 finger or less and 1/3-1/2 open pinwheel.  I let the dome get to 300-325, running wide open up & down, without any ceramics/grates installed... then drop them in, set the vents... dome temp drops down to 200-220 or so, then slowly builds to 250-270.  I smoked some baby backs yesterday and the JR. held 270+/- 5 degrees for the entire 4 hour cook.  Can't see from the photos but if you are still using the stock lower grill grate, I suggest you remove it... not needed and could possibly make holding temps more challenging.  I love this little powerhouse!

15 hours ago, TN1984 said:

approximately one finger gap as well.

I set both by bottom vent and my daisy wheel vent at about a credit card width. I can get it stable at 200 when I put the meat on. It will over time rise to 250.

Like you said you need practice with the grill. Each grill is different and what works for Temple, Daddy ,and Golf might not work exactly for you. I use the finger gap but i have a classic II .The jr. my be more sensitive with the vent settings 

37 minutes ago, len440 said:

Like you said you need practice with the grill. Each grill is different and what works for Temple, Daddy ,and Golf might not work exactly for you. I use the finger gap but i have a classic II .The jr. my be more sensitive with the vent settings 

40 minutes ago, TN1984 said:

off topic question...is it normal that i need to Calibrate Your Kamado Joe Thermometer?

Seem like is off 50°F......

Not only is it normal, it's almost mandatory for a controlled burn.   Easy to do.

46 minutes ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

That's the ticket.  I check and calibrate mine about once a year.  I've heard of them being off about 100 degrees before.

that's a lot....base on the pictures i attached, the way that i set up the Inkbird WiFi Thermometer are correct?

Thanks