Question on Smoking a Duck

So I tried this recipe recently:

https://heygrillhey.com/smoked-duck/#wprm-recipe-container-10552

The flavor of the duck came out really good and the duck breast is very tender at 160F.  However, an issue I encountered is that the underside is not done, like the wings and part of the legs, bottom of the back is semi raw.  In the end I had to cook those parts some more under the broiler to get them done.

I set the temp to 275F and I used the deflector for indirect heat.  My question is whether I should have used direct heat at this temperature?  I did comment in the review section but I guess she hasn't reviewed my message yet.

I don't think you followed the recipe in Step 4  Broil the Duck.  The "Broiler" element in a Kamado is down below and you have to crank it up to achieve "Broil".  The recipe you were trying to follow was not all done outside.

57 minutes ago, daninpd said:

I don't think you followed the recipe in Step 4  Broil the Duck.  The "Broiler" element in a Kamado is down below and you have to crank it up to achieve "Broil".  The recipe you were trying to follow was not all done outside.

I did do that and I transferred it to the broiler in the oven, after the temp in the breast hit 160, per recipe.  But that only broil the duck breast skin to make them crispy and didn't do anything for the bottom part of the duck.

Oh, and let me add, from experience, if you do put a duck over a Kamado set to "Broil" you are going to see flames like the Hindenberg.  And a lot of unpleasant smoke.  There was a reason that recipe used a broiler element on top and a place for the duck fat to go below.

6 minutes ago, baileybbq said:

I did do that and I transferred to the broiler in the oven per recipe.  But that only broil the duck breast skin to make them crispy and didn't do anything for the bottom part of the duck.

My favorite recipe for duck is from Paul Prudhomme where he split the duck after roasting to broil it for crisp skin.  That recipe it was kept overnight after roasting, partially deboned and then broiled.  A Louisiana thing, not a Kamado thing.

17 hours ago, daninpd said:

Oh, and let me add, from experience, if you do put a duck over a Kamado set to "Broil" you are going to see flames like the Hindenberg.  And a lot of unpleasant smoke.  There was a reason that recipe used a broiler element on top and a place for the duck fat to go below.

That is some good advice right there.