Lost & Found - 7 month old tenderloin

Went into the freezer and pulled away a bag of veggies and found this. A 4.8 lb prime whole tenderloin, un-trimmed. 7 months old! 

It's in the original butcher vacuum packaging. The grocery store doesn't really sell them this way, they cut them into filets for customers. I had asked for a whole one (for some damn reason), haha!

beef-tenderloin.thumb.jpg.69ee09302eaa5643ecd59fceef8bc86a.jpg

So what do I do with this? Is it still good to eat? Should I defrost it?

I have a Big Joe 3 and a PK360. I'd love some ideas of what to do with this. 

:D

Well, a lot of people here might consider it as sacrilege, but… Steak Rolendeli is what comes to my mind.

Requirements:  2-5lb bags of salt, a large flat roasting pan,  5-8 lbs of Tenderloin or Top Sirloin, a couple of pounds of good butter and several loaves of the best crusty white bread you can find.

Drop the carefully trimmed (fat removed) Tenderloin in the pan, lay it flat. Carefully pour most of one bag of Salt over it, carefully covering but but not rubbing it into the meat.  The layer should be thick.  Place it under a preheated broiler for 20-25 minutes and prepare any sides that you want to offer.  Stuffed Mushrooms and Fried Onions come to mind, as well as a nice salad.

Remove the Steak from the broiler, carefully remove the salt crust and discard.  It should come off easily and in a few large chunks.  Turn the meat over and repeat the salt and broiler trick for 20-25 minutes.  The salt will not poison the taste of the meat, but rather seal in the juices.  There will be a very slight salt taste on the surface but not overpowering.  Gently melt the butter in your dutch oven or other larger pot during the second broiler stint. Keep it warm.  Slice the bread into half slices and have a large platterful or two ready to go. Tell your guests to roll up their sleeves. 

Remove the last of the salt crust and cut the rare to medium rare meat into 1 pound pieces.  Place them in the warm butter.  Deliver the sides to the table. Appoint an assistant called “the runner”.  After a few minutes in the butter, slice a chunk of meat into large, bread sized slices, nice and thin.  The runner is to dip slices of bread in the butter and cover the platters before the layers of meat goes on. They then run it out to the table where it will be greedily consumed as soon as the plate touches down. 

A check on your dignified, refined guests will find them reduced to screaming pigs, yelling “more, more!”  Vegetarians should not be invited.

We served this one night in 1990 or 1991 to a loose collection of chefs, cooks, foodies and their spouses.  It is still spoken of in dark corners at parties.

Source:  Esquire Magazine. 11/1990. “Man at his best; Eat your heart out”.  Jim Enger.  The account above is my personal experience based on the article.

Salt-Crusted Beef Tenderloin Grilled in Cloth (Lomo al Trapo)

RECIPE NOTES

Yield: Serves 2

Equipment: 1 piece of clean cotton cloth approximately 16 inches square, dipped in cold water and wrung out slightly; butcher’s string

INGREDIENTS

1 center cut piece of beef tenderloin, meticulously trimmed of all fat and silverskin (about 6 inches long and 12 to 16 ounces)

About 2 cups table salt

1 tablespoon dried oregano

RECIPE STEPS

Step 1: Arrange the cotton cloth on a work surface on the diagonal (like a diamond), so that one corner points down toward you. Spread the salt out on top of the cloth to form a layer ¼ inch thick that extends to within 1 inch of the bottom edges of the cloth. Sprinkle the oregano evenly over the salt.

Step 2: Arrange the beef tenderloin crosswise on top of the salt about 4 inches up from the point of the cloth closest to you; the tenderloin should be parallel to your shoulders. Starting at the corner closest to you, roll the tenderloin up in the cloth and salt. The idea is to make a compact roll. Now take the points of cloth at each end of the resulting cylinder and tie them together on top of the tenderloin. Tuck in any loose ends. The goal is to form a tight cylinder. (If necessary, tie the center of the cylinder with butcher’s string to secure it.) You should roll up the tenderloin just prior to grilling.

Step 3: To grill: If you are using a charcoal grill, light the coals in a chimney starter and rake them out in an even layer at the bottom of the grill. You will not need a grill grate. Place the wrapped tenderloin right on the coals, knotted side up, and grill it for about 9 minutes. Using long-handled tongs, gently turn the tenderloin package over and grill it for about 8 minutes longer. Do not be alarmed if the cloth burns; it’s meant to. In fact, the whole package should look about as appetizing as a fire-charred log.

If you are using a gas grill, preheat it as hot as it will go; you need a “2 Mississippi” fire. There is no need to oil the grill grate. Place the wrapped tenderloin on the hot grate, knotted side up, and grill it for about 9 minutes. Using long-handled tongs, gently turn the tenderloin package over and grill it for about 8 minutes longer. You may need a little more cooking time and the crust won’t burn as black when charcoal grilled but the tenderloin will still turn out pretty tasty.

Step 4: Use an instant-read meat thermometer to test the tenderloin for doneness, inserting it through the cloth into the center of the meat. When cooked to rare, the internal temperature will be about 125°F; to medium-rare, 140° to 145°F.

Step 5: Transfer the charred tenderloin to a metal platter or rimmed sheet pan and let it rest for 2 minutes. Lift the tenderloin with tongs and tap it hard with the back of a large, heavy chef’s knife (you may need to tap it several times). The burnt shell should crack and come off. Using a pastry brush, brush any excess salt off the tenderloin. Transfer the tenderloin to a clean platter, cut it into 2 to 4 pieces and serve at once.

Last summer I had a major (and waaay overdue) kitchen clear-out.  I found a 4lb joint of Aberdeen Angus Fore-rib at the bottom of the chest freezer with a sales ticket dated 2012!  Defrosted it and checked it over thoroughly before deciding to cook it - It was still good.

4 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

Salt-Crusted Beef Tenderloin Grilled in Cloth (Lomo al Trapo)

RECIPE NOTES

Yield: Serves 2

Equipment: 1 piece of clean cotton cloth approximately 16 inches square, dipped in cold water and wrung out slightly; butcher’s string

INGREDIENTS

1 center cut piece of beef tenderloin, meticulously trimmed of all fat and silverskin (about 6 inches long and 12 to 16 ounces)

About 2 cups table salt

1 tablespoon dried oregano

Whoa! This sounds super good! And looking at some YouTube videos of this, I gotta try it. It would be perfect for the PK360 with my Kick Ash Basket. 

For this cook (UFC fight night!) I think I'm going to try Sam the Cooking Guy's video. The horseradish sauce looks crazy good!

I kinda winged it and just came up with a herb sludge (rosemary, thyme, parsley, minced garlic, and avocado oil) on top of a little SPG rub. The PK360 performed perfectly, especially with the sear grates.

Bourbon was drank. Tenderloin consumed. Guests were pleased. Watching Conner McGregor break is leg was the perfect finish to a great evening! :D

tender1.thumb.jpg.9da0f0ea8b08355a512ce02b2ae1936d.jpg