Sign in to follow this  

I’ve always loved Red Beans & Rice and wanted to try making it myself. Now this may not be the traditional way of making it but it turned out great.

Here are the ingredients:

1 lb. of pre-soaked beans. (I used pinto beans in these pics, as that’s what I had on hand, but obviously red beans would be my 1st choice)
2 ea. medium onions (Chopped)
1 ½ cups Chopped celery
1 ½ cups of chopped bell pepper
2 ea. medium jalapenos (Finely chopped)
4 cloves of garlic (Finely chopped)
5 Bay leaves
1 ½ tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. ground Chipotle pepper
1 tsp. Cholula hot sauce
2 tsp. Thyme
1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
1 ½ tsp. Mexican oregano
1 ½ tsp. paprika
6 oz. can of tomato paste
(Note: I didn't have any, so I didn't add the 1 ½ cups of chopped bell pepper in these pics)

IMG_3981_zps8abfc566.jpg

Cut up the onions, celery & jalapenos (Bell pepper if you've got em)

IMG_3982_zps3b86ceb0.jpg

Also chopped up 4 cloves of garlic

IMG_3993_zps9c606a9a.jpg

Put some oil in my DO and pre-heated

IMG_3983_zps1a3ea28f.jpg

Add the chopped ingredients

IMG_3985_zps1e6f4628.jpg

Once they started to wilt I added 3 large smoked ham hocks

IMG_3990_zpsbef3a6ce.jpg

I let that continue to cook for another 5 minutes.

IMG_3992_zps6546b022.jpg

I then add my 1lb. of pinto beans (soaked overnight), covered with water, add all my seasonings and finally a 6 oz. can of tomato paste.

IMG_3996_zps750cabc3.jpg

Bring to a boil and then turn the frame to its lowest setting, cover and simmer for 3 to 4 hours. (Until the beans are tender & the ham hocks are falling apart) Here it is at 1 Hour.

IMG_3999_zpsc0bf3b0d.jpg

At 2 Hours (Had to add some water)

IMG_4000_zps1016c677.jpg

At 3 1/2 Hours. (See the meat is falling of the bones) Turn off the flame and remove the bones & Bay leaves.

IMG_4002_zpsdf1b4100.jpg

And here are the money shots.

IMG_4015_zps1f48ab57.jpg

IMG_4016_zps6ff1d7c6.jpg

It is delicious.

Thats a good looking pot of red beans. Your recipie looks good too, as there is no set in stone red beans recipie. It's very common to use ham hocks, or pickled pork, sausage, or a combination of your choice. Its kinda like gumbo in that, the basics don't change, but tailor it to your own tastes. In case you didn't know, the onion, green pepper, celery, garlic combo is called the holy trinity. I know, four ingredients, but thats the way it is.

Nice cook, DerHusker.  I generally use Andouille sausage and ham hocks, but 5698k is right, meat ingredients will vary by cook, but the trinity remains constant, as does the smoky flavor imparted by the ham hocks. 

Your cook reminded me of just how long it's been since I've made this dish.  Thanks.  It's back on my to do list. 

Looks good been a long time since I made some. The recipe I've always used called for Tasso Ham, even though I found a recipe for the ham I never made it. Just substituded country ham pieces, like you idea of using the ham hocks though.

Thanks everybody

You all must've been bored today as this was posted back in May of last year. It received a lot of views but today was the first replies to it. Anyway, thanks again.

DH when you are a newbie like me everything is fresh and new.

Looks a Great! What size DO is that? Also, I think this cold blast of weather makes us all crave these types of soups, stews, etc on a subliminal level which could account for more comments now then in May ///shrugs-shoulders///

Thanks. It's a 9 qt.

Thanks everybody

You all must've been bored today as this was posted back in May of last year. It received a lot of views but today was the first replies to it. Anyway, thanks again.

DH when you are a newbie like me everything is fresh and new.

Ah! That explains it.

Since this thread is awoken... As a born and bred south Louisiana boy, for true red beans I would personally not have added the tomato, oregano, paprika, or thyme. Maybe not even the jalapeño but probably a red cayenne pepper. I would also have added some good smoke sausage and/ or Andouille sausage as well as any left over ham pieces and or ham bones or the smoked ham hocks. And cook the beans until they get softer and then take big spoon and smash up some of the beans against side of the pot to make the pot liquor creamy. It is balance between enough pot liquor and a nice creaminess to pair with the rice.

Also a trick - add no salt until end of cook as it can make beans tough. And if you need to add water during cook always add hot water for same reason ( at least that guidance comes from my grandma and mamma and I do it that way!)

Other than personal cooking preference (toward red beans and rice) your result looks really good and I would eat it in a heartbeat.

PS. If you can get them, Camellia Brand red beans are the preferred red beans. http://www.camelliabrand.com/products/red-kidney-beans/