Kamado Joe 3 Need a  Perfect 2 Grill Combo

tfunge

Kamado Big Joe 3 vs Classic 3. I Have  the Joe jr and love it  . I need a  perfect 2 grill combo for a family of 2 and when i entertain will be  8 people at times. Is the Classic Big enough for 8-10 people . I mostly smoke ribs, Pork Butts and rarely a Brisket . I want to move away from my gas webber grill and  Smoken Tex electric smoker. I Don't like the electric smokers temp only goes to 250* also chicken skin is rubbery at that temp ! 

I’m still new to kamado cooking, having purchased my Classic 3 a couple of months ago. I absolutely love it and wish I had bought one sooner, but better late than never. I cook primarily for my wife and me, but also for guests from time to time. So far, my only issue with space was when cooking baby backs. Just getting 3 racks on was a challenge. See pic below. I could have trimmed the small ends and they would have fit better. I’ll be getting a rib rack which will hopefully let me get at least 4 racks on. I can cook 8 at a time in my Pit Barrel. Haven’t cooked a brisket yet and suspect I might need the rib rack to help fit a full packer on, although I’ve cooked many on a Kettle with SnS, which cuts the grate real estate in half. I’ve only cooked 1 pork butt, but could have easily gotten 2 on, and maybe 3.

The rib cook had me wishing I had bought the Big Joe 3, but that would have introduced other issues when only cooking for 2. I still have my stick burner, PBC and Kettle, along with the gasser if I need to have multiple cooks going at the same time. Since you already have the Joe Jr., Big Joe might be the way to go, especially if you have a need for several racks of ribs at once.

image.thumb.jpeg.ff35b14302125f344a119dea64062524.jpeg

The classic is plenty for eight people.  I figure when answering the question about how many people can you cook for on a grill needs to boil down to how many steaks you can fit on it.  Steaks take up more space per person than most other items you might wanna cook on the grill.  Eight steaks is tight on a classic but its doable.  I have done it.  Ribeyes take more space than strips and strips take more space than filets.  I love the Classic and it's my go-to on everything.  The sweetest spot, in my opinion, is having two classics :)

Big stuff like pork butts, ribs, etc won’t be any trouble to cook for 8+. I bought a 2nd set of stainless racks to double my smoking surface with a full 2 levels in the d and c. I also have the expander grate for a 3rd level. With all that I can do 5 racks flat with no problems. I could probably do 6 or more if I cut them in half. 

My classic 2 gets a little crowded with direct cooking because I leave a deflector in for a 2 zone fire. So I only use half the surface at a time. I can get 5-6 burgers or pork chops on one side, so 10-12 is doable with no deflector on a classic.

it would be pushing it, but you could probably do 2 wire grates on one side high and low and a cast iron grate set low on the other to have 5 burgers searing and 10 indirect. You would just shuffle back and forth to cook evenly. Sear both sides, park on the indirect side. Sear 5 more and fill the 2nd rack. Then finish 5 more directly while the others cook indirect.