Anyone smoke their own chipotle’s?

I have a jalapeño problem this year. No idea what to do with all the peppers we have, only so many can go into salsa. I thought I might as well try making my own dried chipotle’s. Does anyone have a tested method for smoking them on the kamado? And then finish drying in the dehydrator I assume?

1 hour ago, KamadoChris said:

I have a jalapeño problem this year. No idea what to do with all the peppers we have, only so many can go into salsa. I thought I might as well try making my own dried chipotle’s. Does anyone have a tested method for smoking them on the kamado? And then finish drying in the dehydrator I assume?

Jalapenos are pretty thick, so it may take a good long time to dehydrate.

I've done much thinner walled super-hots (Ghost peppers and hotter) that way. Cut off the top/stem, slice in half. Smoke on the Big Joe (on 16" pizza screens) for a couple hours. Move to dehydrator to finish, usually 24 hours @ 120-130.

The only reason I stem and halve them is because of the potential for mold. Getting a look at the inside of the pepper lets me know that I'm not wasting effort on a bad pepper. I don't know if that is as much a concern for Jalapenos.

9 hours ago, PHEAD said:

id pickle them. ive never smoked them though, sorry no help there lol.

I still have jars and jars of pickled peppers and cowboy candy from last year.  Shouldn't have planted twice the number of plants this year as last :huh:

I've done this a couple of times.  Wound up with too many peppers so I seared them on the JR, steamed them in a bag until the skin peeled off, then into the dehydrator for I can't remember how long until I had sufficiently dried them, put them through the blender until I had dust.  I've given 1/2 of it away to relatives and friends and still have some from 3 years ago.  The peppers I used were Fatalli and they are really hot.  Hence the reason I've still got some left after 3 years.

I thought Chipotles were from poblano peppers ... 

My jalapenos I can like someone else mentioned, the hot ones, Reapers, ghost, habaneros I just dehydrate , never tried smoking any.

Good luck..

9 hours ago, A.O. said:

I thought Chipotles were from poblano peppers ... 

My jalapenos I can like someone else mentioned, the hot ones, Reapers, ghost, habaneros I just dehydrate , never tried smoking any.

Good luck..

@A.O. a dried poblano is called an ancho.  A smoked and dried jalapeño is chipotle. I normally buy all my dried peppers at a local Mexican grocery they get straight from Mexico so it really is just an experiment to play around with since I have bags and bags of dry peppers from there as it is. 

how do you dehydrate your peppers? Whole or sliced?

25 minutes ago, KamadoChris said:

@A.O. a dried poblano is called an ancho.  A smoked and dried jalapeño is chipotle. I normally buy all my dried peppers at a local Mexican grocery they get straight from Mexico so it really is just an experiment to play around with since I have bags and bags of dry peppers from there as it is. 

how do you dehydrate your peppers? Whole or sliced?

Yep that sounds right, thanks..  I rarely buy any peppers

It depends on the peppers, some whole, some halved , reapers normally quartered due to their potency, easier to use that way..

Several years ago there was a gentleman on another forum who smoked his peppers

on a Weber Smokey Mountain or WSM. His site is no longer available, but I did find this

link at the WayBack.archive site.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030801063348/http://www.randyq.addr.com/

The Chipotle info is here...

http://web.archive.org/web/20030603185409/http://randyq.addr.com/chiles/chipotles.html

Link to Next Page is at the bottom of each page.

I grow jalapenos in my greenhouse (along with other chilli varieties) - the summer in the UK has been known to be un-cooperative with regards to growing chillies outdoors!  As jalapenos tend to be quite thick skinned I cut them in half before putting them in my dehydrator.  Once they're dried I'll periodically blitz them into powder for a rub which has been my default routine for several years.  On a couple of occasions last year I tried to smoke them on my kamado to get chipotles but each time ended up with dried chillies where any heat or fragrance has been entirely overwhelmed by smoke, so as this year's chilli crop start to ripen I'd be very glad to hear from other people what's worked for them.

I’ve done a mixed batch of peppers on my egg one time a few years back. If memory serves me right I ran about 180 for 26-27hrs. I ended up with a bunch of really spicy chill powder. It’s one of those things I won’t do again but at least did it one time. Lol 

840EA203-46E4-43D6-A28F-D5232B598FE0.jpeg

9DE5B1A7-B4D3-4D4E-9C62-31A4169515A5.jpeg

Thanks for all your good responses.  I'm second guessing myself now if the time and effort is all worth the end result :roll: when I can just continue to buy a big bag of them ready to go for like 5 or 6 bucks.  Luckily my neighbour has let us know they want a bunch to pickle for themselves.

I made jalepeno-honey-garlic wings the other night with them, fantastic I might add, but I only needed to use 1 haha!