The random spirits thread...

John Setzler

20210906_183953.jpg

This is about a perfect end to a Monday.  Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Select is my HOUSE whiskey.  It's awesome whiskey AND it's easy to get.  I'm just sitting here tonight sipping on this while I'm reading about North African spice choices for a rack of lamb ribs that I'm gonna cook tomorrow...  

20210919_205243.thumb.jpg.d684226fa6b87f5f7d73e1892ff247ab.jpg

This is a home brew apple wine.  4 week fermentation,  excellent clarity (any haze is condensation).  Served at 36°f.  This is the most delicious experiment so far.  14% ABV.  This recipe has 2 additional iterations.  Next is to do a third fermentation and carbonate it for a fizzy treat.  After that we'll "jack" the wine for a 30% ABV apple jack a.k.a. Jersey Lightning.

57 minutes ago, philpom said:

20210919_205243.thumb.jpg.d684226fa6b87f5f7d73e1892ff247ab.jpg

This is a home brew apple wine.  4 week fermentation,  excellent clarity (any haze is condensation).  Served at 36°f.  This is the most delicious experiment so far.  14% ABV.  This recipe has 2 additional iterations.  Next is to do a third fermentation and carbonate it for a fizzy treat.  After that we'll "jack" the wine for a 30% ABV apple jack a.k.a. Jersey Lightning.

I used to make something similar to this.  I'd start out with about 5 gallons of all natural apple juice or cider and then add about 3 pounds of corn sugar to get the gravity on up there a bit.  I fermented it with montrachet yeast which would take it down to around .997-.998 on the gravity.  I would let the fermentation go a lot longer though.  I would often rack it off into a second carboy and let it clarify in the dark for 3 or 4 more months.  I would add some potassium sorbate to the carboy about a day or so before I wanted to finish up to neutralize the yeast before moving on.

*I* don't care as much for the dry higher alcohol result on this stuff.  What I like to do after adding the potassium sorbate is to rack it off to a bottling bucket and then add a little molasses and some frozen apple juice concentrate and dissolve that in the apple wine until my gravity is back to somewhere around 1.01 to 1.015 and get my alcohol content somewhere between 8-10%.  Adding sweetness back to this stuff makes it really amazing....

On 7/27/2021 at 6:45 AM, len440 said:

When I want to end a great meal and relax in a comfortable chair this is what I turn to. A word of warning this will give a sweetness over load for a while 

20210727_092423.thumb.jpg.661c546cd28c4de6aaed068a80c84c97.jpg

Absolutely love this wine after Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Picked up my first bottle way, way, back when the winery operation was in a couple of simple wooden buildings. V Sattui even back then was a really cool winery. All the others  in Napa were stuffy, you can't picknic on our beautiful grounds kind of places. V Sattui sold gourmet cured  sausage,  salami and cheese,  and provided wooden picnic tables, along with making some truly fine wines. Spent many a relaxing afternoon there sipping some beautiful wines and  watching the afternoon age over the vineyards. Good Memories.

18 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I used to make something similar to this.  I'd start out with about 5 gallons of all natural apple juice or cider and then add about 3 pounds of corn sugar to get the gravity on up there a bit.  I fermented it with montrachet yeast which would take it down to around .997-.998 on the gravity.  I would let the fermentation go a lot longer though.  I would often rack it off into a second carboy and let it clarify in the dark for 3 or 4 more months.  I would add some potassium sorbate to the carboy about a day or so before I wanted to finish up to neutralize the yeast before moving on.

*I* don't care as much for the dry higher alcohol result on this stuff.  What I like to do after adding the potassium sorbate is to rack it off to a bottling bucket and then add a little molasses and some frozen apple juice concentrate and dissolve that in the apple wine until my gravity is back to somewhere around 1.01 to 1.015 and get my alcohol content somewhere between 8-10%.  Adding sweetness back to this stuff makes it really amazing....

We have some potassium sorbate on the way so we can age some of this and not let it get too dry.  So far we haven't had to back sweeten but as a general rule we avoid excess sugar.  I'm working on a still so I want the highest starting ABV to reduce time distilling. I'd like to achieve something in the 80 proof range that was nice to sip or use as a mixer.  I would even entertain aging with added charred oak wood.  This type of Hobbie is a great way to explore and experiment.   Sounds like you have had a fair amount of fun already.

2 minutes ago, philpom said:

We have some potassium sorbate on the way so we can age some of this and not let it get too dry.  So far we haven't had to back sweeten but as a general rule we avoid excess sugar.  I'm working on a still so I want the highest starting ABV to reduce time distilling. I'd like to achieve something in the 80 proof range that was nice to sip or use as a mixer.  I would even entertain aging with added charred oak wood.  This type of Hobbie is a great way to explore and experiment.   Sounds like you have had a fair amount of fun already.

This project was a side note to my beer homebrewing....

Keeper 

17 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Absolutely love this wine after Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Picked up my first bottle way, way, back when the winery operation was in a couple of simple wooden buildings. V Sattui even back then was a really cool winery. All the others  in Napa were stuffy, you can't picknic on our beautiful grounds kind of places. V Sattui sold gourmet cured  sausage,  salami and cheese,  and provided wooden picnic tables, along with making some truly fine wines. Spent many a relaxing afternoon there sipping some beautiful wines and  watching the afternoon age over the vineyards. Good Memories.

Keeper that's the reason we always stop there at least a couple of times when we visit wife's sons in Vacaville. Always bring back a couple of cases of wines. They now sell a truffle pate' . Some of this  and a cab on a picnic table as the sun goes down life is good. Later at night a good bourbon with friends rounds out the evening.

• 2 weeks later...