The random spirits thread...

John Setzler

A few glasses of Knob Creek Smoked Maple while celebrating with my wife's side of the family yesterday.

BIL enjoyed a glass of Blantons and then a few Jim Beam Black Old Fashioneds.

Neice's Husband was more than happy to be offered some of the Eagle Rare.

Will be going Blantons likely myself for a pour tonight after Mass.

Tomorrow more of a beer day watching the Packers play.

Merry Christmas all.

To be honest I'm not a fan of jack Daniels No. 7 and I prefer a Speyside Scotch whisky but I have really liked these Master Distillers range from Jack Daniels. No.3 was sublime which I have now unfortunately finished I'm now on No.4 which has a distinct  flavour profile and I have no. 5 in the cupboard which again is different again. A great range of different whiskeys 

IMG_20211224_213114.jpg

Don't get to try a taste until later tonight (we have an annual Christmas eve festivities party in "normal" years)....a great Christmas gift from my son who can't make it home for Christmas this year.  He purchased two bottles and we'll do a tasting together over Zoom.

image.thumb.png.bedd9be9a67df1d5f03bd44d698d421e.png

My son in law’s first whisky!  I have been chasing him for almost five years for a sneak taste with no luck.  This was a 500 bottle release with a 2 bottle limit and it sold out in 20 minutes.  An ABV of 59.1%. We got our two bottles and will have to ration until his next release.

B673A886-5F44-49EA-B2AD-6AF4F128D4B3.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Our first hard liquor home brew. This was freeze distilled or jacked apple wine, our best batch yet. We used yeast nutrition and a quality wine yeast, it fermented for 3 months. Turned out at 15% ABV and after jacking was 90 proof. Very smooth and a little spice to it.

Jacking freezes the water and allows you to concentrate the flavor and alcohol components giving you that old drink known as Apple Jack or Jersey Lightning.  No major producer makes it these days but a few small brew houses still make the real thing.  Clarity was excellent as you can see in the bottle below before jacking.

The co.mon phrase, "that's jacked up" originated from this process. 

20220206_122707.thumb.jpg.cfa9ea6de6ecd267efed1b03f3567bf4.jpg

20220206_121900.thumb.jpg.13e714644658a7f37ff3760f62aaf301.jpg

A very nice sip in my opinion. 

My dad jacked apple cider back in the day. Cider was from a mill not too far away, all natural as they say, no additives. He would give me small samples of the final product. 

I have not bothered to try and jack any of the stuff one can buy in a grocery store.

On 2/13/2022 at 5:37 AM, mike echo said:

My dad jacked apple cider back in the day. Cider was from a mill not too far away, all natural as they say, no additives. He would give me small samples of the final product. 

I have not bothered to try and jack any of the stuff one can buy in a grocery store.

Funny...I've been looking for Apple Jack for a cocktail recipe for some time now and can't find any commercial product anyone carries.  A few smaller distilleries making it, but I have yet to source any locally. 

https://unionten.ca/products/736-ml-apple-jack

I've settled on Calvados (a French apple brandy) which I have heard is similar, though not as "sharp"....a more delicate flavor.

• 1 month later...

My brother-in-law brought some of his collection over on a spectacular spring day.  They were all great, but Blanton’s remains my favorite of the group.

image.thumb.jpeg.7941aa49fff832423604ccf6f1f6ae7b.jpeg

It’s a very cold and rainy night here in Ontario. So we are catching up on our “Somebody feed Phil” episodes.  Tonight he’s in Dublin, so for me it’s Roe & Co. Irish Whiskey.  I am having a sip every time he does, or if he visits somewhere I have been. 

D689D4E7-FA21-4D7B-87CF-9FC29867AB50.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...