Be very cautious with KJ soapstone

The most loved accessory I had.  After using it for the 6th time, it split right down the middle.  My prior cooks clocked in around 500, the last was at 720.  It produced fantastic ribeyes. Opened it up a little later and right down the center.  A side crack I could have worked with, but the center?  Never shocked it with abrupt temp changes.  This has to be a flaw in the stone as everything KJ has put out, at least for me has been fantastic.  

So any suggestions to other manufactures of soapstones?  I found a few but I would rather hear from y'all.  

there aren't but a few producers of soapstone so chance are you will buy one from the same supplier that makes the KJ stones.  These are 'stones' and they are not impervious to breaking.  Are you beyond the warranty period on your kj stone?

I agree with you as my soapstone is my favorite piece followed by rotisserie.  They will replace it and they should have some in stock.  The reason I say that is they gave me a 2nd one about a month ago because I have been waiting so long for a ceramic part.  

You could probably still use it if you just lay it on the grill.  Not perfect but it should keep your rib eyes coming.  

I’d pursue with KJ.  

A guru generously gifted me a broken soapstone a few years back and I'm still cooking on it without any issues. Everytime I think about buying a new one, I realize that what I have works fine. Maybe I will find someone in the near future who wants to try out a soapstone and I'll forward this one to them and buy myself a new one.

• 1 month later...

Talk about ridiculous fantastic service, KJ replaced it without me even asking!  Now a days how does that happen without some form of threat?  I am now a costumer/advocate for life and need one of their hats. K.J. simply did a followup, asked for pictures, confirmed my address and replacement was at front door.  I just had hand surgery on 3 fingers and a thumb and am just now able to type.  There really are good people and respectable businesses in this world.  

On 7/22/2021 at 11:19 PM, Henry B 3 said:

The most loved accessory I had.  After using it for the 6th time, it split right down the middle.  My prior cooks clocked in around 500, the last was at 720.  It produced fantastic ribeyes. Opened it up a little later and right down the center.  A side crack I could have worked with, but the center?  Never shocked it with abrupt temp changes.  This has to be a flaw in the stone as everything KJ has put out, at least for me has been fantastic.  

So any suggestions to other manufactures of soapstones?  I found a few but I would rather hear from y'all.  

So please explain your procedure on those ribeye's.