Time to temperature

llbts1

Anyone have a rough guide? What I am looking for is to know how long (roughly) it takes the KJ1 to reach say 750 F? I know that there are a lot of variables with temperature, but I was just looking for ideas on when to fire it up before dinner so the wife isn't waiting on the KJ. I know it would be rough guess, but just a guide.

Thanks, Larry

I don't know what you are cooking at 750, but I can get my KJ up to about 350 - 450 and stabilized in about an hour, maybe a little less time if I don't shut down the vents sooner.

That temperature range works for anything that I cook on a regular basis. When I did pizza, I think I had the temperature up to 550, which was sufficient for my pizza.

Thank you GG. Thats the information I was looking for. I took my KJ to 600 yesterday, and it took a while to get there.  I was cooking a steak and wanted a sear.  It just seamed to take a long time to hit 600.

There are many way to light a kamado/grill, but for searing steaks (or pork chops, or chicken thighs/legs etc) I light a lot of coals at once with a chimney, get the coals coals red hot and whited over, and then dump underneath the area I use for direct searing.  Don't bother to heat-sink the entire kamado.  I don't even cook with the lid closed until I get a nice sear, then I move them over to the "cool" indirect side to let them come up to my desired internal temp.

So, basically using a red hot coal bed and then indirect...don't really care what the actual thermometer reads....but after you dump a load of hot charcoal in, it spikes up very quickly.

I haven't found it necessary to get my joe up that hot for steaks. The 400°'s and 500°'s seem plenty to me. I've even done great sears in the mid 300°'s because temps are mostly irrelevant, imo when cooking direct. That said, even though I threw mine away, a chimney is a great tool for getting hot quickly.

On 7/26/2021 at 10:39 PM, llbts1 said:

Thanks CenTex.   

500-600 was pretty warm on the KJ. It took about 45- hour to get there.

I'm up the road from you outside Fort Worth. Now days, you can lay a steak on the sidewalk for a sear.

unfortunately, I am still living outside the state for the moment. But, Bell County is my roots, and I'm working a plan to get back when I retire.