Dojoe Question

AJS390

I have a question for those of you with experience with the Dojoe.  The last couple of times I have used mine, I've had issues as the cook goes on.  I get everything lit up as the instructions say, let the dome heat up to 450, install the dojoe, and let it sit for 30-45 minutes to stabilize at the temp I want (right around 600 is what I aim for).  I have had it holding rock steady on the dome thermometer, and the first few pizzas turn out perfect.  But later on the bottoms are burning before the tops are cooked.  I assume this means the stone is getting too hot, but it just seems a little confusing to me since the dome temp isn't changing at all.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Any suggestions?

FYI, I launch the pizzas on parchment paper and generally use a 65% hydration dough.  Would it help if I upped it to 70%?

Does your dough have sugar in it?  Oil?  My stones in the DoJOE get hotter than the dome temp but usually not by more than 75-100 degrees max.  With any simple flour/water/salt/yeast dough at 65% hydration there should be no problems.  You also need to confirm your 65% hydration by weighing ingredients.  If you are not weighing the flour and water it's really easy to end up 10% or more off your target hydration.

It could also mean that you are putting too much topping on the pizza... 

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

Does your dough have sugar in it?  Oil?  My stones in the DoJOE get hotter than the dome temp but usually not by more than 75-100 degrees max.  With any simple flour/water/salt/yeast dough at 65% hydration there should be no problems.  You also need to confirm your 65% hydration by weighing ingredients.  If you are not weighing the flour and water it's really easy to end up 10% or more off your target hydration.

It could also mean that you are putting too much topping on the pizza... 

Nope, just flour, water, yeast, and salt.  And I definitely use a scale, volumes are too unreliable.

My suspicion was also that it could be too much toppings, but I try to keep that consistent.

It could just be that I need more practice, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if anyone else had experienced the same thing to try to shorten the learning curve.

Random question, how long are you able to hold your DoJoe at 600?  Honestly I've not had good luck with mine and it's driven me to not want to use it.  I'm trying to force myself to try again.  In the past I've felt that once I get to 600-650, I'm only going to have 15-20 min at that temp before it starts dropping (from using up all the fuel).  I'm usually tying to make NY Style pizzas, 3 or 4 of them, I'd say they need 7-10 minutes (a couple family members prefer a more well done pizza) and by the last ones the temp is usually falling.

1 hour ago, taperunner said:

Random question, how long are you able to hold your DoJoe at 600?  Honestly I've not had good luck with mine and it's driven me to not want to use it.  I'm trying to force myself to try again.  In the past I've felt that once I get to 600-650, I'm only going to have 15-20 min at that temp before it starts dropping (from using up all the fuel).  I'm usually tying to make NY Style pizzas, 3 or 4 of them, I'd say they need 7-10 minutes (a couple family members prefer a more well done pizza) and by the last ones the temp is usually falling.

Fireboard 2 PRO :)

I wouldn’t get over 650 F dome temp with a KJ.  I did and I caused some issues. 3 of us in the neighborhood all agree the biggest waste of our KJ money was on the DoeJoe.  

Get a dedicated pizza maker if you want pizza.  IMHO

1 hour ago, Gebo said:

I wouldn’t get over 650 F dome temp with a KJ.  I did and I caused some issues. 3 of us in the neighborhood all agree the biggest waste of our KJ money was on the DoeJoe.  

Get a dedicated pizza maker if you want pizza.  IMHO

Have you ever tried using the DoJOE for anything other than pizza?  The DoJOE solves one of the problems that kamado grills have.  Kamados SUCK at browning much of anything.  The DOJOE fixes that.  Try a lasagna or a mac & cheese or any other type dish in the kamado that hyou want to brown and watch it fall miserably short.  Then try it again with the DoJOE.

6 hours ago, taperunner said:

To answer your question, I haven't paid that much attention but I know it's been at least an hour (after starting to cook, not counting warmup and stabilization) with charcoal left over.  No problems with dropping temps.

I personally choose to lift the dojoe off and set it on some blocks I have set up for it when I'm done so I can close the kamado up and snuff the fire.  Not a problem for me, I just use my high heat gloves with an added leather glove around the tabs on the side (just folded up) with no issues.  I don't have any dogs or children to worry about burning...