Long distance move with Big Joe

SeanInVA

My Big Joe and I (along with wife and dog) are moving to Mexico. I have a quote from my moving company for @700 USD to crate (optional but recommended by the carrier) the Joe for transport. It's going by truck. Anyone ever moved one long distance and may have some advice? Insurance is a certainty, but I'd rather not have to attempt a claim. 

If they want $700 the crate and ship maybe it might be worth while to sell and add the saved $700 and buy a new one . But all would depend on availability in Mexico. Good luck with your move.

On 7/31/2021 at 10:34 AM, len440 said:

If they want $700 the crate and ship maybe it might be worth while to sell and add the saved $700 and buy a new one . But all would depend on availability in Mexico. Good luck with your move.

Haven't been able to find Big Joe in Mexico, that's why I bought here. I'll take my chances without the crate and up the insurance on the Kamado.

On 7/31/2021 at 10:57 AM, CentralTexBBQ said:

$700 for a crate seems unusually high. Are they shipping it separate from the furniture? I would think I'd be able to assemble a crate or construct one out of boxes for far less.

Yeah, it's outrageous. They wouldn't let me make a crate myself. It's gonna go by truck with the rest of my stuff. Fingers crossed! That's what I durance is for I guess!

Yeah, I call bull snot on that. I'd be paying them to move what I'd be paying them to move and they have zero to say about where the crate came from. I'd find a handy man or carpenter to build one for far less and who is to say it wasn't shipped to me that way. Or heck, buy a crate and packaging from K.J. Can't be $700. Secure it with tie down straps!!!