homemade bacon flavor suggestions/ideas?

Greetings everyone! As I mentioned in my intro post my first  homemade bacon try was a bit salty due to errors made. My latest try was awesome and it has been nice having a few slices per pack I vacuum sealed and froze I can just pull out when I want some.

Now I think I want to try some other flavorings maybe Maple, what are some of your favorite homemade bacon recipes?

17 hours ago, SmokerInSeattle said:

Greetings everyone! As I mentioned in my intro post my first  homemade bacon try was a bit salty due to errors made. My latest try was awesome and it has been nice having a few slices per pack I vacuum sealed and froze I can just pull out when I want some.

Now I think I want to try some other flavorings maybe Maple, what are some of your favorite homemade bacon recipes?

Garlic

Black pepper

Hatch

Real maple syrup 

Honey

Brown sugar

Tabasco sauce

Peach

Marmalade 

Etc...  I like savory with a touch of sweet.   Good luck!

On 7/31/2021 at 10:51 AM, philpom said:

Garlic

Black pepper

Hatch

Real maple syrup 

Honey

Brown sugar

Tabasco sauce

Peach

Marmalade 

Etc...  I like savory with a touch of sweet.   Good luck!

Some of those are very nice ideas. :)  

this time I went to this maple recipe from AmazingRibs for 1/3 the pork belly. https://amazingribs.com/best-maple-bacon-recipe

It turned out OK, partner said it needs more maple flavor. Both the other 2/3rds had base mix of pink salt/salt/dark brown sugar. One of the other 1/3rds was plain smoked using KJ coal, other I tried to use some apple wood, haven't tasted it yet. I smoked it after the other 2 1/3 rd slabs as to not crowd.

I do not think im using other/flavored wood right though. Using some lump apple wood and i put it beside the piece i light and it either burns right through and smoke galore (too much) or doesn't catch at all. 

I need to read up more on using extra woods I guess. :) 

So where do you get your meat for this? And what cut of meat do you use?

The times I've made bacon it was with the meat off a wild pig, and there isn't much there because wild pigs are way  leaner than the fattened up commercial ones..

Pork bellies at Costco are generally large, meaty and have the skin removed.  I have skinned pork bellies, but without the experience of a butcher, it's really a two person job, because it takes one hand to pull the skin, one hand to hold down the meat and that third hand to run the knife.  

Also, I really like grinding up a few bay leaves to add to a standard bacon cure.  This takes awhile, as bay leaves are tough little buggers, but I love the extra flavor they impart.

Well ... the only "bacon flavor" that I've ever actually used on a grill so far has to do with corn.  Wrap the cobs with uncooked bacon, maybe secure the bacon strips with toothpicks broken in half, then wrap them in aluminum foil.  When the ears are done, you won't need to use butter.  Simply consume the tasty, fully-cooked (but not crispy ...) bacon strips, then enjoy the corn as-is.  You won't even need to use salt.  "Delicious!"

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 11:49 AM, A.O. said:

So where do you get your meat for this? And what cut of meat do you use?

The times I've made bacon it was with the meat off a wild pig, and there isn't much there because wild pigs are way  leaner than the fattened up commercial ones..

For this time I was using a costco pork belly for the first time after seeing mention of them here and other sites. My first smoke I used a pork belly from my local butcher. I just got back from there actually and picked up a ham to try making my own deli ham. They said it was a "heritage" pig today not sure about other times. I need to look up what that means. :D

52 minutes ago, SmokerInSeattle said:

They said it was a "heritage" pig today not sure about other times. I need to look up what that means. :D

I gave them a ring and what I have today is a "Full Blood Berkshire Heritage Hog" :) So i guess that is pretty good, one article I read called them the Kobe of pork. also found this https://americanberkshire.com/history/