KMJ Classic III Kontrol Tower - Leaking air.

TKJ

Hi all,

After a seer of some lovely bone-in pork chops I wanted to use the residual heat of the KMJ to finish off the chops. After closing down bottom and top vent I noticed smoke escaping

from the kontrol tower (see picture). A quick observation shows that the top piece, which is used to adjust the vent, does not neatly sit on the lower piece of the

kontrol tower. Thus causing some air to leak.

Is this normal? Anyone else noticed this?

Cheers!

kdj.jpg

Welcome, glad to have you and your Joe with us. Know that kamados provide very well sealed cooking environments, but they are not completely air tight. However they are able to hold temp quite well. Not unusual for new grills to have a puff of smoke here and there especially at the vent cap. As you get some gunk built up in the cracks and along where the slides come together your cap will seal tighter. Happens with all brands of kamado as they season. The solution is cook a lot and don’t worry too much about a puff of smoke here and there.

Thanks for the prompt reply and the warm welcome! Much appreciated.

Will keep on cooking and grease that top vent up a bit. I`ve had it for a week and already ticked a few boxes:

St.Louis Ribs, Picanha, Flat steak, Dorade, Mackerel, bone-in pork chops, veggies. So far nothing but amazing whatever

comes off the grill.

Cheers!

Agree with Keeper and TKJ your vent is tooooo clean. These Kamados are not totally air tight, some air smoke leakage is to be expected as long as the fire goes out with the vents closed your good to go. Cheers back to you 

• 5 months later...

I just purchased mine and mine is doing the exact same thing.  I set the bottom vent to about 2 finger widths and set the kontrol tower to the first mark.  I was aiming for 250ish but it shot up to 350 and couldn't figure out why until i close it off completely and saw the same thing you did.  Its only my second cook with it but I am not very happy.  I know there may be a little leakage, but this was an exceptional amount.

ill give it a few more cooks but sill probably go back to the daisy wheel...:(

Dan If you were trying for 250 and it shot up tp 350 several things could be causing this:

1: too much charcoal being lit

2: vents opened too much

3: not closing down vents fast enough

4: Charcoal brand

5: All the above 

I see nothing wrong with the vent pic that TKJ posted these are not air tight devices. It will take some time to learn your grill. On my classic a finger width open on the top and bottom gets me into the 225 to 250 range depending on how many fire cubes I use. The finger width may not work with yours  or TKJ's, as each grill is different. 

Thanks Len,

it may be a learning curve.  ive had my KJ for years and never run into that issue (after the first couple cooks when getting used to the new grill) :)

Ill have to mess with it some.  I understand it isnt air tight but it should be better than what i was seeing.  never had that issue with the daisy wheel.  just disappointed since i purchased these after hearing how much easier they were to control temp...

Im also looking at the reggulator in hopes to resolve that issue and the constant sticking.