Do I need a joe jr?

Andy B

I just purchased my classic 1 a few weeks ago. I am absolutely in love with it. I will be getting a big joe at some point in the future. But for some reason I have an urge to get the jr too. I usually am only cooking for 3. I like the idea of being able to fire up a grill fast just to throw a few burgers or steaks on but I need to know will it really be that much faster to start and cool down than the classic? Is it big enough for 3 large ribeyes? Has anyone bought one and regretted it? They have them at bj’s wholesale club for $299 and I can’t stop thinking about buying one. Somebody please talk me out of it. 

I received a free one that I kept in the garage for two years without ever using. That is, until I sold it to my cousin to teach her how to cook. So, I never saw the need though it is a wonderfully crafted little grill. If i remember correctly, three large ribeyes would be very tight, if even possible. You would be cooking closer to the coals possibly but, the startup on a classic shouldn't be that long. Even shorter with a chimney OR my fav, a leaf blower. :-D

Also, don't see how or why the shut down would be a concern.

As an owner that started with a Classic and a Junior, then went with a Big Joe - no.

Save your money and buy the Big Joe next.

I rarely cook for more than three or four and my Big Joe is the one I always go to.  I keep the Classic because I have the Joetisserie for it.  I really should sell the Junior, but it's not like it's costing me anything to look at it sitting on the porch.

I appreciate the replies. I think I’ll just spend the money on a  jotisserie and dojoe and enjoy the classic I have. I’ll still eventually get a big joe when I can convince my wife that I need it and forget about the joe jr. thank you guys for keeping me from wasting money!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: I ended up buying the joe jr. and I am in love with it. There is just something fun about cooking on a tiny grill. I find it easier to fire up and cook 3 burgers or sear a steak out of the sous vide, which I do a lot. It gets so hot so quick compared to the classic. I can see it coming in handy when I do larger cooks for guests as well. I still do use my classic a lot though and love them both equally. Now all I need is for a big joe 1 to go on clearance at Lowe’s, and my wife to allow me to buy it, so I can have all three.