Hello from Wellington, New Zealand

jerry_nz

Howdy from Wellington, New Zealand!

In 2018 I purchased a KJ Classic II and its been going good ever since.  (And apparently I made an account here at about that time also... not that I can remember!).  I finally shifted my bbq into its table i built over last winter, and into its new home on the deck.

I tend to cook things that are small-child friendly (so I have to go easy on the pepper and spice, and sometimes we have to eat before things are perfect-perfect :blink:).  Latest creation is beef cheeks served in home made Bao Buns.  Nom nom.

I'm also a bit of a nerd, so i tend to use a heatermeter for the longer cooks.

Cheers!

intro.jpg

Welcome NZ Nice looking cart what kind of wood? Good luck with training the little ones to like pepper and spice a little patience and they will come around My 2 sons are proof of that. Thanks for the slider pics I had forgotten about beef cheeks 

Forgot to comment on the heater meter It was a fun project to build and Bryan is very helpful getting it up and running and answering questions . Most of the time I just use it to monitor the temps and don't hook up the fan assembly. If I'm really busy I will use the fan just for peace of mind but it is a good reliable unit with no complaints.

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

7 hours ago, GrillnBrew said:

Welcome Jerry, good looking sandwiches there.  Now you have to share your Bao recipe...

Heya!  this is the one i followed:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/steamed-bao-buns

(although i didn't let it prove for as long as they say cos... ya know... kids + hunger = trolls)

7 hours ago, len440 said:

Welcome NZ Nice looking cart what kind of wood? Good luck with training the little ones to like pepper and spice a little patience and they will come around My 2 sons are proof of that. Thanks for the slider pics I had forgotten about beef cheeks 

Thanks!  The wood I used is Macrocarpa which is a type of Cypress i think.  I wanted to do Cedar but the bank account said no (we have some odd prices here in NZ compared to the rest of the world)

6 hours ago, len440 said:

Forgot to comment on the heater meter It was a fun project to build and Bryan is very helpful getting it up and running and answering questions . Most of the time I just use it to monitor the temps and don't hook up the fan assembly. If I'm really busy I will use the fan just for peace of mind but it is a good reliable unit with no complaints.

Yeah totally.  Once I had soldered it all together and got my head around the settings its been rock solid and only a fraction of the price of similar off-the-shelf products that do less.  I'm a big fan, although my buddies call it the 'vape machine' ... yikes.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Jerry! Ahh New Zealand what a wonderful place. I saw you all recently went back on lockdown because you had one case of covid! Bravo!!!

I love your work station with the KamadoJoe inside. When I move to a bigger place I am hoping to do something just like that!

Those bao buns look freaking tasty! Looking forward to seeing you around the site.