Scratch 1 From the Bucket List

Jack.

I own several high-end Shun and Miyabi chef's and santoku knives, but have always lusted after a Kramer Pure Carbon chef's knife.  What finally convinced me to buy was seeing a used one sell on eBay for $5 less than a brand new one. Once I decided to buy, I had a hard time finding one available from all of the usual sellers.  Finally I found one and it was delivered yesterday.  Here are a few photos while it is still virgin.  It's maiden voyage will be this weekend when I make a tian of eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and shallots Provencal.  Right now, I am one happy Irishman.

Thanks for looking and Happy Cooking.

kramer1.jpg

kramer9.jpg

kramer5.jpg

kramer2.jpg

kramer3.jpg

kramer6.jpg

2 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

I've been cyber stalking Kramer for a while now. My concern with upper echelon knives is sharpening them without sctraching the finish.

That was a concern for me as well, going back to the purchase of my first Shun Fujis and Hakiris and my Miyabi Birch.  I addressed the concern by spending even more money on a Wicked Edge sharpening system. :-o

Problem solved, and my knives stay beautiful and shaving sharp.

:-D:-D:-D If I were to spend that much on a sharpener, my wife would expect it to actually cut and cook the food!

More seriously, I looked at those some time ago but couldn't talk myself into spending more on the sharpener than the knife. Then again, I guess if I sold my car and bought an actual handmade Kramer... hmmm...

7 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

:-D:-D:-D If I were to spend that much on a sharpener, my wife would expect it to actually cut and cook the food!

More seriously, I looked at those some time ago but couldn't talk myself into spending more on the sharpener than the knife. Then again, I guess if I sold my car and bought an actual handmade Kramer... hmmm...

You could always send them off for an occasional sharpening at a reasonable price.  I must say, using my Miyabi is a pleasure and unique compared to lesser knives, it was worth it to me.  It's hard to explain.

I've always been intimidated by using stones freeform; I don't think I could get the angle right, keep an even,constant  bevel on the entire arc of the blade, or keep from marring the finish.  Hence the Wicked Edge.  I have to say that with the proper progression of the right stones at the precise angle, I can with confidence put an edge on my good knives that I know I could never achieve without it.

Does food taste better if prepped with an expensive knife?

Put me down as a nicely sharpened, able to hold an edge, quality constructed knife user.

I salute you all with the showpiece knives.

Cheers

On 8/15/2021 at 3:34 AM, mike echo said:

Does food taste better if prepped with an expensive knife?

Put me down as a nicely sharpened, able to hold an edge, quality constructed knife user.

I salute you all with the showpiece knives.

Cheers

I don't know if the food tastes better, but for me the pleasure of preparing the food is enhanced by working with a tool the quality and beauty of which I appreciate.

As to your smarmy comment about "...all with the showpiece knives", the simple fact of the matter is I'm retired from a lucrative profession, my children's' educations are paid for, my grandkids want for nothing, my house and car are paid off, and I can afford them.  Can you think of any reason why I shouldn't enjoy the finer things I worked hard to acquire?  I can't.B) B)

Jack Nice looking knife   One word of advice on a knife it can never be too sharp. The only down side of these knives (my son once attended  chef school) is sharping them some have multi angled edges which takes some knowledge to sharpen them . His are wicked sharp and I enjoy using them when I visit him, he also counts  them as I walk out the door to come home.