Kamado Joe Jr - Arrived Damage - Options?

gojoe

I ordered a Kamado Joe Jr from Keystone BBQ Supply and I opened it up today to cook up something this weekend. Upon opening the box, I saw this... Very bummed! :sad::sad::sad:

Contacted the retailer and they asked me to register the product and file a warranty claim.

Q1: Is this normal? Aren't damaged in shipment issues supposed to be addressed by the retailer?

I registered the product and filed a warranty claim. Kamado Joe's generic acknowledgement said I'll hear back in 5 business days.

Q2: Should I wait to hear back via email or call? Which medium has worked better for folks who have had damage on arrival?

Q3: Has anyone else dealt with KJ with a DoA issue? What was your experience? Are they pretty good about this? Wondering if I should initiate a dispute with my CC now to cover all bases. 

Thanks in advance!

IMG-8023.jpg

IMG-8022.jpg

IMG-8018.jpg

This is the responsibility of the seller (and shipping co). A warranty claim may put you weeks away from having a grill in the current climate. I would be on the phone with the seller again in addition to informing them that I am stopping payment or challenging with my credit card company.

Did the box have conspicuous damage?

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

Keystone BBQ Supply is ultimately responsible.   They can deal with their shipping company / carrier fir damages.  You should never be part of the process.

Keystone needs to ship you another one immediately.

Shipping damage shouldn’t be deferred to Kamado as a warranty claim. 

Try calling your credit card company to see if they can reverse the charges.

KJ Customer Service got back within hours but will only be able to ship me all the parts by October.

I took the advice of the forum and asked KeystoneBBQ for a replacement and am waiting to hear back. Hopefully they will do the right thing and ship me a replacement. I'll keep the forum updated. Thank you for the advice.

I was afraid that it would be weeks away. I'd be forceful in speaking with them. Respectful but extremely forceful. Hope it works out for you.

These threads keep popping up but I think it is a great mistake to file warranty claims in such instances. Here are the issues as I see them.

1. Filing a warranty, registers the unit and it's serial, thereby 'legally' acknowledging that you are the owner, effectively 'terminating' the sale. That is, they sold it, I bought it, I received it, it's mine, the sale is complete.
  2. After certifying that the sell is complete, I have effectively released the seller from responsibility for either replacement or making the sale 'right'. It is now an issue to be resolved between myself and the warrantor.
  3. Not filing a warranty is a legally advantageous position in which I am saying to the store, 'your' merchandise is sitting in my house. You own it, not me and I reserve the right to withhold payment until you make it right or send me a shipping label to send 'your' merchandise back to you. 

I just looked up Keystone BBQ and it has pictures with an address on the wall of 4034 E Newport Road. When you look up that address, it's someone's house so just bear in mind this is not a Brick & Mortar store you are dealing with.

Probably why they want you to deal with KJ direct.

On 8/13/2021 at 7:10 PM, gojoe said:

KJ Customer Service got back within hours but will only be able to ship me all the parts by October.

I took the advice of the forum and asked KeystoneBBQ for a replacement and am waiting to hear back. Hopefully they will do the right thing and ship me a replacement. I'll keep the forum updated. Thank you for the advice.

What about calling the credit card company and explain your situation?  Send them photos of the damage.

They should be able to reverse the charges.

In all honesty, the RIGHT choice here is to do exactly what Keystone told you to do if they aren't willing to handle it for you.  It's unfortunate that it happend but we are in some difficult times with logistics in the US right now and no amount of jumping and screaming is gonna fix that.  It is what it is.  Suck it up and wait it out or buy a replacement to use until your replacement comes in.

With the info I see and have read, I don't see this as a warranty issue.  I agree with those that say this is a seller and shipper issue.  Stay on the seller but I'd get with the shipper, too.  Probably too late??Do you have pics of the box it came in?  Was it damaged?

It looks like the seller may be something less than legitimate?????  IDK????

After exhausting seller and shipper responsibility, go with the KJ warranty.  And in reality, expect Nov or Dec.

as far as replacement arrival. I'm still waiting on parts from spring and my updates keep going out another month every month.

They always honor their stuff, but getting it from China seems to be taking a little longer than normal.

Remember the "slow boat from China"?:)

Edited by Gebo