First Kamado Joe - not impressed with quality control

Lenny S

Finally made the plunge and purchased a Big Joe III.

(1) Extra line of ceramic makes my Kamado look like it has a seam.  Response - "This can happen from the molding process and will not cause you any issues."  My thought - Would you buy a new car with a shoddy quarter panel?    

(2) Bottom vent was drilled and installed crooked.  I assume there is no way to fix this.  Bottom right metal vent opening is a little lower than flush with the ceramic but the bottom left metal opening is jacked up 3/8" higher than the ceramic.

(3) The left side of the bottom vent is completely flush with the ceramic.  This makes getting the ash pan out a PITA.  The metal pan is so tight against the ceramic that it's already being chiseled away (left side gray spot) by simply removing the ash pan a couple times.  I've cooked twice since receiving it last week.  Again, I assume there is no way to fix this.

The last two issue I haven't approached them about.  Is this typical quality control for KJ?

PXL_20210816_225320675.jpg

PXL_20210816_225305651.jpg

PXL_20210810_170218940.jpg

PXL_20210810_172226198.jpg

Despite what you may have thought going in, you've bought the Toyota of Ceramic Grills 

That's nothing unusual and will have zero effect on how the grill cooks

If you wanted Perfection, you should have upped your budget and looked at a Komodo Kamado 

Great first post, BTW

I look forward to you never contributing again once you realize you're not going to get the sympathy you're hoping for 

The seam looking thing is unusual, but the bottom vent is not.

If you think about it, the ceramic base has a compound curve to it, and the metal of the bottom vent is a flat retangular thing that has to be wrapped around the base. So, it's a square peg/round hole situation.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about either issue. If the base cracks, they'll replace it under warranty.

Start cooking and enjoy some of the best food you've ever eaten.

yeah that seam would bother me, but its only cosmetic.

i think the vent is fine.

id take out that metal ash catch the sliding tray sits on. i think its worthless. ash gets under it and you have to remove it to clean under it anyway.

without it i can use a shopvac to get any ash i cant sweep into the tray.

On 8/26/2021 at 7:22 PM, Polar Bear said:

Despite what you may have thought going in, you've bought the Toyota of Ceramic Grills 

If you wanted Perfection, you should have upped your budget and looked at a Komodo Kamado 

Great first post, BTW

I look forward to you never contributing again once you realize you're not going to get the sympathy you're hoping for 

I'm not asking for perfection but I know of no one that would buy a new Toyota with an extra seam down the bonnet and wonky wing mirror.  It seems there is more quality control in much cheaper alternatives.

Also, I'm not looking for sympathy, just sharing my initial experience with the brand while trying to determine if this is on par with what others are seeing as well.

Not to worry mate regarding my contributions, I'll help anyone if I can.

On 8/27/2021 at 10:39 PM, jtemple said:

The seam looking thing is unusual, but the bottom vent is not.

If you think about it, the ceramic base has a compound curve to it, and the metal of the bottom vent is a flat retangular thing that has to be wrapped around the base. So, it's a square peg/round hole situation.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about either issue. If the base cracks, they'll replace it under warranty.

Start cooking and enjoy some of the best food you've ever eaten.

I can understand the vent being a little crooked and off center but it's to the point that the pan is hard to get out.  It rakes against the ceramic on the left and metal opening on the right.

On 8/28/2021 at 2:28 AM, PHEAD said:

yeah that seam would bother me, but its only cosmetic.

i think the vent is fine.

id take out that metal ash catch the sliding tray sits on. i think its worthless. ash gets under it and you have to remove it to clean under it anyway.

without it i can use a shopvac to get any ash i cant sweep into the tray.

Yeah, I though about taking that piece out, I can see ash down there already.

The seam is hideous, looks much worse in person... like it was a reject, sold anyway. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 6:41 PM, Lenny S said:

Yeah, I though about taking that piece out, I can see ash down there already.

The seam is hideous, looks much worse in person... like it was a reject, sold anyway. 

Yep.  That is exactly what it looks like.  Either a reject sold anyway or Ray Charles is their QC inspector.

I would have taken it back personally.  Way too much money invested in these things to accept such a poor quality finish. 

Tom

Edited by Jack.
Name calling, offensive content.

On 8/26/2021 at 8:22 PM, Polar Bear said:

Great first post, BTW

This is an inappropriate response here.  It's not helpful in any way.  Please be mindful when responding to questions and problems and don't make it personal.  

Lenny, I sympathize with your situation. You spent a lot of money and you expect better quality.   I don’t know about vent but that seam shouldn’t have made it out. 

It’s not gonna hurt anything but I would be disappointed. I would expect it to crack along that line at some point but I ain’t no engineer.

It seems some people today accept inferior quality like it is normal.  My neighbor who has the exact same KJ as mine purchased one month earlier says he can’t believe how much trouble I’ve had with mine. But KJ warranty has been great to me. I’m still waiting on the fire ring but I took John’s advice and JB welded the old one.  It’s working for now. 

My wife was watching the Fogo YouTube’s with me and said, “With all the trouble we’ve had with the KJ, why don’t you just sell it after it’s repaired and buy one of green ones.”   

i did have to “capture” the thought that went through my head. 

Edited by Gebo

? where did you buy it? Case for local retailer, don't accept it when they deliver. 

Mail order, they are going to refer you to KJ, the repair/spare parts are between you and KJ. Recently saw a post where a guy ordered from BBQ guys and their response was not our problem, call KJ.

Not saying all dealers are like that, but I see this response on more and more warranty issues with all kinds of products.

I know 2 years ago when I ordered Vision from HD, I was concerned about damage b4 or during shipping. Fortunately, all was well. 

I know this does not solve your problem, but it is something for future buyers to consider. Investigate your sellers service and return record.

Lenny have you contacted Kamado Joe about all of this? As far as quality what's happening now is what we went through in the 70s, Japan was sending a lot of cheap stuff here that was junk including cars. We stopped buying them and forced them to improve their quality, which they did. Unfortunately we 're not holding our friends in China to the same standards. Here our workers on piece work used to have bins next to them to discard bad pieces (they still got paid for them) and the good pieces are passed to the next station. I think china just uses all the pieces. Now this is from my short time in a factory long long time ago. The money we shell out for these grills we should get a quality product. I had a couple of claims with KJ and was treated very well. When I bought mine I had them open the box and inspected it ( they weren't too happy) but it is ceramic and it traveled a long way to get here. Please keep us updated 

23 minutes ago, len440 said:

Unfortunately we 're not holding our friends in China to the same standards. 

When the parent company is US-based and the manufacturing is overseas, the PARENT COMPANY is responsible for quality control.  This is not a situation where a foreign company is selling product in the US.  It's perfectly possible to get perfectly high quality product from any manufacturing source.  There are, of course, tradeoffs to getting that.

I agree John the US parent company is responsible for the quality of the product they sell. But unfortunately some of them don't seem to be overly concerned about the quality of their product their selling. I'm NOT singling out any company, I know they can't physically check every box for quality, and it's part on us  for continuing to accept bad products   Thankfully Kamado Joe has been great on honoring their warranty, I wonder if they are eating the warranty costs or back billing to china. But then companies don't eat anything they pass it on to the consumers. I maybe getting away from what the first post was about. The quality of my classic II WAS  good only bad thing was the Kontrol Tower coating issue 

On 9/19/2021 at 1:17 PM, len440 said:

I agree John the US parent company is responsible for the quality of the product they sell. But unfortunately some of them don't seem to be overly concerned about the quality of their product their selling. I'm NOT singling out any company, I know they can't physically check every box for quality, and it's part on us  for continuing to accept bad products   Thankfully Kamado Joe has been great on honoring their warranty, I wonder if they are eating the warranty costs or back billing to china. But then companies don't eat anything they pass it on to the consumers. I maybe getting away from what the first post was about. The quality of my classic II WAS  good only bad thing was the Kontrol Tower coating issue 

20210918_115821.jpg

I love my kontrol tower :)  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  But I don't look at my kamado grills as show pieces like lots of folks do.  Mine look like the workhorses that they are...