Summer Vegetable Tian

Jack.

A French Provencal dish of eggplant, zucchini, squash and tomatoes sliced in 1/4" rounds, seasoned with shaved garlic, shaved shallots, Herbs de Provence and EVOO.  Baked covered @ 400* for 1 hour then uncovered for 1/2 hour.  Sprinkled with shredded Parmesan when hot out of the oven.

This dish is easily adapted to a kamado.  I wanted to use a round ceramic dish, so to avoid discoloration, I used the indoor oven.

This dish makes a delicious side for chicken, fish, pork, or eggs.  Very lo cal, too.cooked2.thumb.jpg.d85d383d373992bd11454d218f4f0fca.jpgtien.thumb.jpg.05b59b4d9e642487e1e0081a950a704b.jpg

Thanks for looking and Happy Cooking.

Thanks.  I got the idea for this after watching the kid's movie Ratatouille, and looking up Thomas Keller's recipe.  I've been experimenting with different herbs, onions vs. shallots, amount of garlic, kamado or oven, etc.  I've settled on Herbs de Provence, shallots, LOTS of fresh, very thinly sliced garlic, Roma tomatoes, and, because these particular vegetables seem to be smoke sponges, cooking in the indoor oven in a clay or ceramic vessel rather than in the Primo in cast iron or stainless steel.

Reheated leftovers taste really good, especially after the flavors have a chance to marry.

13 hours ago, Jack. said:

because these particular vegetables seem to be smoke sponges, cooking in the indoor oven in a clay or ceramic vessel rather than in the Primo

That’s been my experience with many veggies in the Kamado. Even if I don’t use a chunk of smoking wood, they still come out too smokey. I really want to be able to put meat on the raised rack and veggies underneath to catch the drippings, but no success yet.

Using extruded coconut charcoal in the kamado significantly reduces the amount of smoke flavor.  With this particular assortment of vegetable and herbs, even coconut charcoal imparts a flavor that I did not want. 

For me, a whole chicken on a raised rack with onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and herbs of your choice in a pan underneath produces nicely flavored vegetables.  I prefer to use the roasted, flavored vegetables along with the drippings from the chicken to make a sauce, rather than serving the vegetables as a side dish. 

6 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

And when I saw that dish the movie Ratatouille was the first thing that popped into my mind.  LOL

I got interested in the movie and the dish when I learned that Thomas Keller was the technical consultant on all things kitchen and food. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 12:39 AM, Jack. said:

Herbs de Provence, shallots, LOTS of fresh, very thinly sliced garlic, Roma tomatoes,

And with a different set of herbs (allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, olives, along with the onion, garlic and tomato), it turns into a moussaka.  Both great dishes, and really adaptable to lots of flavor preferences and meat choices (or no meat). 

But yeah, smoke sponges.  Like the term.  I have done this with starting the eggplant on a hot grill, before adding everything into the casserole for final baking in the oven.  Eggplant takes a bit longer to cook than some of the other ingredients (or maybe I just like it that way), and you can get a bit of control over the amount of smoke flavor.  But I've also overshot the smoke flavor like that, so YMMV.

On 8/21/2021 at 7:49 PM, Jack. said:

A French Provencal dish of eggplant, zucchini, squash and tomatoes sliced in 1/4" rounds, seasoned with shaved garlic, shaved shallots, Herbs de Provence and EVOO.  Baked covered @ 400* for 1 hour then uncovered for 1/2 hour.  Sprinkled with shredded Parmesan when hot out of the oven.

This dish is easily adapted to a kamado.  I wanted to use a round ceramic dish, so to avoid discoloration, I used the indoor oven.

This dish makes a delicious side for chicken, fish, pork, or eggs.  Very lo cal, too.cooked2.thumb.jpg.d85d383d373992bd11454d218f4f0fca.jpgtien.thumb.jpg.05b59b4d9e642487e1e0081a950a704b.jpg

Thanks for looking and Happy Cooking.

That looks fantastic,  will be trying some iteration of this soon.

<rant> Fresh, homegrown eggplant is one of the most under-appreciated vegetables from the summer garden, IMO.  Fried, sauteed, part of a casserole, fritters, added flavoring (rice dressing with eggplant is a favorite), just so many options.  Unfortunately, if they're not fresh, or if they're picked over-ripe, they really lose a lot of flavor and can get bitter.  I guess that's one reason some folk don't appreciate them.  But I know some of my family isn't crazy about them, even when they're in a dish I'm appreciating, so there's more to it than that.  Just means more for me, so not too worried :)   

<end rant>

For health reasons, I gave up red meat about a year and a half ago.  I was forced to get creative with chicken breast, fish, shellfish and, of course, vegetables.  Eggplant is one of my go-to vegetables these days, be it grilled, baked, sautéed or in a casserole.  I'm lucky, living so close to a source of fresh eggplant, squash, zucchini and other vegetables year round.

The change in diet really has made me a better, more creative cook.