Question: How to finish?

For many of our cooks, we pause at some point and wrap. Then we put the meat back on the grill to finish.

At this point, the meat isn't getting smoke, so why not save charcoal, shut down the grill, and finish in the oven? Seems like this would be especially convenient during inclement weather, or when that brisket is going to finish late into the night it might be more convenient.

I know, I know... we're GRILLING. But...

No reason you can't do that. It's what ever works for you. I've done that with briskets and butts

when it was getting late and I wanted to finish the cook. I put the meat in a pan, covered with foil

and put in the oven at about 225 to 250 till the next morning. No problem. I think there is a thread

on the forum here someplace that covers this topic.

1 hour ago, prvanhorn54 said:

For many of our cooks, we pause at some point and wrap. Then we put the meat back on the grill to finish.

At this point, the meat isn't getting smoke, so why not save charcoal, shut down the grill, and finish in the oven? Seems like this would be especially convenient during inclement weather, or when that brisket is going to finish late into the night it might be more convenient.

I know, I know... we're GRILLING. But...

people do that all the time. if im running low on coals i will finish it in the oven.

On 8/28/2021 at 12:14 PM, prvanhorn54 said:

I know, I know... we're GRILLING. But..

Horn 54 What ever floats your boat. You are in charge of the cook ( some would say the meat is) I've finished pork butts wrapped in foil with a cup of broth more than once in the oven and never felt guilty.

4 hours ago, philpom said:

My prefered way is to never wrap and just let it ride in the smoker until it's done.  I toss it in a "right sized" bowl with lid and place it somewhere out of the way like the microwave for a rest, then shred.

My early experiences on the kamado led me to forsake the butcher paper and let 'er ride also. I couldn't get the taste, look or bark that I prefer without doing the entire cook in the grill.