Southwest Inspired Vegetable Terrine

In my quest to prepare interesting and flavorful vegetable dishes, I've been experimenting with French tians and terrines.  Yesterday I found some fresh Hatch green chilies and decided to make a multi-layered terrine of kamado-grilled vegetables using the medium-hot chilies as the flavor centerpiece.  The layers consist of rounds of grilled Chinese eggplant, sweet onions, Roma tomatoes, and yellow squash, (all grown in Wilcox AZ), grilled Hatch (NM) green chilies, thinly sliced garlic, and locally grown cilantro.  The vegetables were grilled after brushing with garlic-infused EVOO.

The ingredients were layered in a ceramic loaf mold and finished in the oven at 400* for 1 hour.

The result was delicious, plenty of silky smooth vegetables and plenty of heat from the green chilies, with just the right amount of charred flavor from the initial kamado grilling. Here are some photos of the process and the assembly.

Thanks for looking and Happy Cooking.

tian1.jpg

tian2.jpg

tian5.jpg

tian6.jpg

tian7.jpg

tian8.jpg

tian9.jpg

tian10.jpg

tian11.jpg

tiam12.jpg

tian13.jpg

tian14.jpg

Many thanks, Keeper.  I agree, the leftovers are great and very versatile.  In the past, I've used them as a side for omelets, grilled chicken breast, even solo as a light entre when we're not very hungry.  My wife says it's even better second day, after the flavors marry.  Also, the terrine holds it's vertical shape better when sliced after a night in the refrigerator.

Thank you, philpom.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.  One thought (and I probably don't need to say this to a Texan), if you don't want the heat from a Hatch chili, poblano works as a flavorful, milder substitute.

9 hours ago, Jack. said:

Thank you, philpom.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.  One thought (and I probably don't need to say this to a Texan), if you don't want the heat from a Hatch chili, poblano works as a flavorful, milder substitute.

Hatch peppers have heat?  :rofl: