Cook times

Buddy110

Good morning everyone, 

I am struggling with cook times in the KJ.  Most KJ recipes call for far longer cook times than I am achieving. For instance, I put a 9lb brisket in this morning at 8, by 9:45 it has already reached 165. In this particular case I am doing the Brisket with taters and onions. To help slow it down some, I am using lower temps, I.E. 200F. This brisket will be down by 1:00, 5 hours from start. This is consistent no matter what I am cooking. 

The other thing I observe is the lack of bark at the point where I cover the brisket. 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks and happy Labor Day 

I learned the hard way to start my briskets way early. A couple of briskets ago cooking at 250 I had a 17lber sit between  165 and 168 for almost 7 - 8  hours.  Why, I don't know. It took forever to get to 205 and I ended up cooking hamburgers to feed my guests who were there when I thought the brisket would have been done. Now I start way early and if I hit 205 even hours before I want to use the brisket, I just wrap it while it is still in the butcher paper, with some clean towels and then  put it in a yeti  cooler primed with hot water and dried out. I have kept a brisket 4 hours this way, and when I opened it, it was warm and delicious. I have no idea how long you could hold one this way, but I feel I could easily go longer if I needed to.  If you wrap in pink butcher paper, I have found it does less damage to your bark. Foil  seams to create a steam bath like effect that softens the bark to the point of loosening it. Happy cooking

It sounds like you are cooking hot and fast. I wonder if your thermometer is not accurate. You can

test it by using a pot of boiling water. It should read close to 212 deg. F. Wrapping the brisket will

cause moisture to build up and soften any bark. You could try unwrapping the brisket for the

last 20 minutes of so when nearing your target temp to allow the bark to dry a bit.

1 hour ago, K_sqrd said:

It sounds like you are cooking hot and fast. I wonder if your thermometer is not accurate. You can

test it by using a pot of boiling water. It should read close to 212 deg. F. Wrapping the brisket will

cause moisture to build up and soften any bark. You could try unwrapping the brisket for the

last 20 minutes of so when nearing your target temp to allow the bark to dry a bit.

I was thinking the same thing, but the lack of bark suggests otherwise. I'm going to use my thermometer probe to check dome temp. Thanks

I had the same experience as keeper above, but with dino ribs. I had a rack of 4 ribs - probably 4 lbs or so. I was cooking at 240° at the dome - 225° at the grate. Internal temp got into 160s pretty quickly it seemed, and I I thought they were going to ready too soon. Hit the stall around 165° and it took about 3 hours to move 1°. Entire cook took 10 hours, and that was with wrapping for the last hour. Luckily, I had given myself 10 hours, so they were ready shortly after guests arrived.

If you are not satisfied with bark formation, I'd suggest not wrapping at all. Works for me. Also, as @keeperovdeflame mentioned, starting early is always a good idea because holding a brisket, even for hours, just turns out an even better product by allowing even more breakdown of the fat (rendering). But, when I don't want to or am not able to start early, I approach the cook with a willingness to adjust cooking temp mid-cook. I will from time to time push into the +300° range to hasten my finish and push through the stall. It works everytime. Takes a little practice to know when to make the adjustment.

its because you are cooking a smaller brisket

when i cook a 3-4lb tritip its done fairly quickly also.

if you were cooking a 15+lbs full packer brisket it will take quite a bit longer to cook.