Need Advice Big Joe 1 vs Big Joe 2

Ivanv

Hi All

Interested on feedback. Looking to buy a Bib Joe but trying to work out what I should buy. In Australia I can get the Big Joe  1 for about $1800 where the Big Joe 2 is $1500 more. With the extra $1500 I could get a whole bunch of accessories. Differences i can see between the 2 are the air lift hinge, the gasket and the controller top vent. Is that really worth $1500? Would love some advise before I drop big money on either Joe.

There won’t be a difference in the actual cooking but I’ll betcha you will enjoy cooking much more.  Now, $1500 more?

I’m not too sure about that. 

You could by all the accessories you would ever want for $1500, I think. 

I have a classic II  Kontrol tower ,gasket ,air hinge. Worth $1500 ??????? I do like the air hinge a lot. John has a good answer and so does Gebo. It's going to come down to personal decision on spending the money Either grill will work very well. Now if I was spending YOUR money it would be easy to could give a more definite answer. It's going to be a tough call for you keep us posted.   

The simple answer is that if you have doubts about the value of the options on the 2 series, buy the original.  My best suggestion is to go somehwere that you can put your hands on the grills and see the differences first hand.  You may have to go two different places to do that but its worth the work to know for yourself.

Actually, John has the best advice in you need to get your hands on one.  For $1500, you could spend a few hours driving and looking. There is probably someone near you that would love to show your their KJ. 

Once you touch and feel the two, you will probably know which one will work best for you.  

Thanks John great advise.  Still in bloody lockdown here in Sydney Australia so hard to go and have a look at either unfortunately :-D.I have a mate is the US who has the 2 and loves it.  Think I will wait and see how much the air hinge gets me over the line.  He showed me a video of the kontroller tower on his Joe Junior compared to the Big Joe 2 and does look better on the 2 as well!.  Will see if I can look at both at the end of lockdown but again guys thanks for the quick response and feedback!  Will be coming back for more tips once I get my Big Joe no doubt!  

dont get hung up on the vent on top, thats an easy swap. there is also the smokeware vent top, but it was too shiny for me lol.

the main selling point should be the air lift hinge. not having to worry about the heavy dome lid slamming down when im not ready is worth it to me.

Thanks PHEAD.....are these orderable as I can't see anywhere where you can order this hinge.  Also great tip on the kontroller tower.....agree the crome is a little tough on the eyes but will absolutely do the job!  Will keep everyone posted & will share the 1st cook when I get one.....don't think anyone has stock of the BJ2 till mid October so will need to see if I can take a look at them then (and hopefully out of Sydney lockdown by then!!).

Thanks again everyone....glad to be part of the community!!!

My vote would be get the Big Joe 2. That airlift hinge is great, divise and conquer system, newer firebox, kontrol tower.  No fussing about trying to make a big joe 1 a hybrid. When i did the swap over of the retrofit hinge - it’s not great and only ok when you get the new gasket.  This grill is going to last a very long time. 

12 hours ago, Ivanv said:

Thanks PHEAD.....are these orderable as I can't see anywhere where you can order this hinge.  Also great tip on the kontroller tower.....agree the crome is a little tough on the eyes but will absolutely do the job!  Will keep everyone posted & will share the 1st cook when I get one.....don't think anyone has stock of the BJ2 till mid October so will need to see if I can take a look at them then (and hopefully out of Sydney lockdown by then!!).

Thanks again everyone....glad to be part of the community!!!

i only read through the thread after i posted it. it seems like the hinge can be difficult to locate.

what does the big joe 3 cost you down there? i know our currency is different, but here the BJ1 is $1200, BJ2 is $2000, and the BJ3 is $2500

just wondering if youd be able to go for the BJ3 instead.

On 9/9/2021 at 10:02 PM, deity6667 said:

My vote would be get the Big Joe 2. That airlift hinge is great, divise and conquer system, newer firebox, kontrol tower.  No fussing about trying to make a big joe 1 a hybrid. When i did the swap over of the retrofit hinge - it’s not great and only ok when you get the new gasket.  This grill is going to last a very long time. 

I'm not arguing for or against either model, but just for the sake of clarity, the BJ1 does have the divide & conquer system.