Hello from Melbourne!

Braai Joe

Hello from Melbourne, Australia!

Being a South African I've grown up grilling (braaing we call it) on open wood and charcoal fires - it's a national past time and something just in our DNA! After much reading I decided to add to the versatility and go for a BIG JOE! 

Just a note to introduce and also to give a huge shout out to all the members who's contributions have been invaluable in making the decision and ensuring that the bug has bitten! John Setzler, ckreef, Jack., keeperovdeflame, KismetKamado, Ben S etc.  you are all an awesome source of knowledge, tips and ideas.

And - 1st steaks were great, but the whole chicken next was out of this world.

Very excited to get stuck into it and "braai" on my Joe!

Cheers,

James

:welcome: James.  On behalf of John, the others named and myself, thanks for the acknowledgement.  This Forum is a wonderful source of information and inspiration for us all.  We're looking forward to seeing some of your cooks with a South African twist. I'm happy that you've become a member.

13 hours ago, len440 said:

Welcome Braai ( How is that pronounced?) This site was a great help for me both back when I  got my Kamado and now. I think BBQing id in the dna of everyone some of us more than others.  Need some pics of a "Braai". 

Thanks will do! It's pronounced "bry" - any open wood or coal fire is basically a braai in SA. Just need fire, meat, beer and hungry company!

On 9/22/2021 at 2:27 PM, Braai Joe said:

Thanks Rodz, will need to pick your brain for some local knowledge sometime!

Let's hope we can get friends and family around the bbq again soon. 

Sure anytime mate !!

Thanks, very glad your happy with your new kamado and enjoying your entry into the world of kamado cooking. Just something about kamado chicken, isn't there.  I cooked for years on a webber kettle and gassers, (My favorite was a Australian grill called a  Captian Cook. Next door neighbor where I used to live is still cooking on it.) and I thought I turned out a pretty good whole chicken. My wife's comment upon tasting my first kamado chicken was, "Really, you cooked this by yourself"?. Great stuff. Happy Cooking. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 6:49 AM, keeperovdeflame said:

Thanks, very glad your happy with your new kamado and enjoying your entry into the world of kamado cooking. Just something about kamado chicken, isn't there.  I cooked for years on a webber kettle and gassers, (My favorite was a Australian grill called a  Captian Cook. Next door neighbor where I used to live is still cooking on it.) and I thought I turned out a pretty good whole chicken. My wife's comment upon tasting my first kamado chicken was, "Really, you cooked this by yourself"?. Great stuff. Happy Cooking. 

This is pretty much exactly what happened to me - takes it to the next level!

So much good cooking ahead. We've got a renovation ahead with 6 months of no kitchen - at this point I'm pretty happy about that! This bad boy is going to get a workout!