Home Tandoor - Advice on Materials & Construction

DavidMcKay

I am looking to build a home tandoor (see attached) and wonder if you would be able to advise which materials might be suitable and why. I am concerned about the Tandoor cracking at high temperatures as it expands and contracts. Given that it will have a height of 60cm and a belly width of 48cm, are you also able to advise on quantities of clays and materials?

Any advice you have on building the Tandoor would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards,

David

Home_Tandoor_STS_001.pdf

It was rumored years ago that a Kamado manufacturer used ground lava rock mixed with Portland cement.

The mixture was poured into a mold which had a wire mesh in it. The mesh acted like a rebar support and

added strength to the finished unit.

36 minutes ago, K_sqrd said:

It was rumored years ago that a Kamado manufacturer used ground lava rock mixed with Portland cement.

The mixture was poured into a mold which had a wire mesh in it. The mesh acted like a rebar support and

added strength to the finished unit.

But did it allow it to flex and breathe?

I think most people here are more expert in buying them and breaking them than they are at building them.  I have seen some folks removing the chimney caps on Joes and BGEs and sticking long skewers down through that for a make-shift Tandoor.  Good luck in your research.